Thread: LPN Scope of Practice

Question LPN Scope of Practice

I should know this stuff, but would like to find something in writing to confirm what I think is correct.

What excatly are the limitations for a LPN?

The Nurse Practice Act is very vague. Some of my questions are...

Are there any restrictions on a LPN being a wound care nurse for a LTC facility? --I notice I cannot become certified without a BSN, but I know you don't have to be certified to be a wound care nurse.

LPNs are to assist with the development of care plans. Does that mean LPNs are not allowed to write care plans?

I don't think LPNs are allowed to change PICC line dressings because it is a sterile procedure. Is this true or maybe just my facility policy? Also, are there other things like this we are not allowed to do?

Any imput would be wonderful!

Re: LPN Scope of Practice

Please forward any of that info to me if you would, I would like to know that as well, Hi my name is Laura and I am or have taken a two year course in medical assisting, I am now currently participating in my externship and I'm doing everything a CNA and LPN does. I had to go to school for two years for this. It seems to me that every state has its own policy and even certain medical sites.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: LPN Scope of Practice

Quote Originally Posted by LTC LPN 2006 View Post
    I should know this stuff, but would like to find something in writing to confirm what I think is correct.

What excatly are the limitations for a LPN?

The Nurse Practice Act is very vague. Some of my questions are...

Are there any restrictions on a LPN being a wound care nurse for a LTC facility? --I notice I cannot become certified without a BSN, but I know you don't have to be certified to be a wound care nurse.

LPNs are to assist with the development of care plans. Does that mean LPNs are not allowed to write care plans?

I don't think LPNs are allowed to change PICC line dressings because it is a sterile procedure. Is this true or maybe just my facility policy? Also, are there other things like this we are not allowed to do?

Any imput would be wonderful!
    Hey, LTC.....just to let you know that 3 out of our 4 past MDS/Care Plan Coordinators have been LPN's. The DON (an RN) has to sign off the dang things. Sounds like the PICC line bit may be a facility thing.

'Cat'