Thread: Looking for the truth about traveling

Looking for the truth about traveling

I have been a nurse for 12 years in mostly small hospitals and have experience in multiple departments. I would like to travel in the winters -probably Arizona - as an ICU nurse and have been browsing the sites. I have found it very hard to get REAL info. Thay all say the same things..."we're there for you"..."best compensation".. But then they list an hourly rate that's less than I make now. O but wait there's more, somehow I can make 6 figures a year. Let's face it - that is exactly what I want. I know there are nontaxed benes like travel and housing that bring up the bottom line. How do I find a travel company that I can trust and that won't give me the runaround about $$?

Cool Re: Looking for the truth about traveling

Good questions!

After reading info on this website for quite a few months, it seems that travel companies "bait and switch" routinely!

If ya aren't getting screwed by the companies then the facilities themselves have their turn.

I have been a staff RN for 23 years, mostly neuro - adult and peds....am in the Midwest and have been wanting to test the waters in the west/southwest.

Thought giving travel nursing a shot would be a beneficial way to get a feeling for where I want to relocate to permanently.

I'm interested to know if anyone feels they have experienced total honesty and adequate compensation for the work they do....and which companies can one count on!

Be well!
    Judi

Re: Looking for the truth about traveling

AZ uses alot of Travelers. I've been to Tucson twice myself. ICU is a hot specialty so you have alot going for yourself. My specialty Psych is a bit more challenging in landing good assignments but I've improved and have spent alot of time at it. To be honest you have to scrutinize every company and every assignment. You market your self wide and then narrow down the assignments with the right questions, feedback from other Travelers and Internet Research first through email and then via phone when you get things narrowed down. You do it quickly and efficiently because there are lots of companies (430 USA & International and growing) and lots of assignments that come and go. You learn to negotiate well for the best housing and contract details. My website attempts to provide the most truthful info with links to others of the same. We are a little harder to find than those Pseudo Info Websites who invest lots of money in Search Engine Optimization :39:

CJ Jones RN Traveler www.TravelNurseToolbox.com

I have worked with two different companies and so far they have both treated me right. Stay away from those companies and recruiters with the "take it of leave it" attitude...and lord knows there are plenty of that kind out there. Always remember and don't hesitate to remind them if you have to that YOU are their bread and butter. You don't work for them and make money, then they get zero too and if you have to remind them there are literally hundreds of agencies you can work for and they are not the only fish in the sea. I had to do that with my first company and recruiter one time...after that it was smooth sailing when we came to that understanding.

There are many good companies out there...but just as many bad ones too. Do your research. Talk to others that have worked with the companies you are interested in and see what their experiences have been. If you see a lot of red flags then move on to the next one to consider. I wish you lots of luck in your search and adventures in Travel Nursing and hope you find a good company and recruiter to work with. A good recruiter is worth their weight in gold! :luck:

Wink Re: Looking for the truth about traveling

Certainly this forum can tell you the truth. Check my website out for articles on my experience and research in travel nursing as well as links to more real info. I'm sure you have seen many of the pseudo info sites out there that only tell the good and are vaugue. There are some Travelers that make 6 figures but it takes work and knowledge. Particularly Independent contractors or subcontractors. My specialty is Psych so I have to market myself a little more to stay employed and in doing that I've talked with just about every company out there and there is a bunch. Over 430 USA & International companies with websites last count (links on my website) also Ultimate Nurse has an extensive Company Review Database where you can rate and review companies or just read the reviews. The key I believe is to find the best recruiter within each company that has a history in working well with travelers and to maintain contact with those recruiters via email and phone when neccesary. Recruiters come and go just like Travelers in reality so I have to constantly adjust my contact list and interview new recruiters and research new companies as well as keep an eye on what the latest hot jobs are. This has worked great for me in finding great jobs but still requires researching each possibility and asking questions and such. I've helped alot of other Travelers this way as well by sending there basic info in what they are looking for etc etc. to my ever-changing contacts many I have dealt with since I've been Traveling. Over the years I've definitely narrowed that list down to the best recruiters with the best companies from my own experiences on the phone, consistent good reviews from other experienced travelers and research on their pay rates, benefits, housing and availability of actual jobs. It is very subjective and gut instinct at times but usually followed up with more research and feedback from Travelers or wannabe Travelers that visit my website or on this forum. I've had so many people want me to blast them out to my contact list that I had to create an automated simple application that automatically gets sent to the recruiters who contact them directly with possible job matches. So far the feedback has been great and many Travelers come back at the end of their assignment to send out a new email blast to see what is out there and get the best deal every 13 weeks so they don't have to update and maintain there own contact list. I've found generally Good Recruiters gravitate or eventually migrate towards good companies. I wish one good recruiter is all I needed but honestly they are limited by what they have to deal with so that's the nature of the business.

CJ Jones, RN Traveler

An important fundamental with travel companies is 'who's the owner'. RN ownership with direct oversight in a company assures that the owner is vested, dedicated, and responsive to each recruited RN.

For more information, please contact us.

Thank you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by abgmaine View Post
    How do I find a travel company that I can trust and that won't give me the runaround about $$?
    I have the same concern as you and have looked for travel nurse reviews of different companies. There is actually part of this forum that allows people to post reviews of quite a few agencies. I can't remember exactly how to get there anymore so here is a direct link:

http://forums.ultimatenurse.com/revi...wcat.php/cat/3

There are so many agencies listed that I find it useful to just click on the ones with high ratings.

:luck:

TopNurseJobs

I echo the suggestion to look over the nurse company reviews like here at Ultimate Nurse! I love the hospital reviews and some of my client hospitals are no longer on my list of preferred placement destinations based on reviews from RNs

I think ultimately, like everything in employment, you have to go by the feeling you get when you connect with another person. If you feel good and your research supports being able to place your trust with them then don't look back and go for it!
    Anthony Pierce

Smile Re: Looking for the truth about traveling

Ask lots of questions there is no such thing as a stupid question. If a recruiter doesn't want to answer your questions find one who will if they don't take time for you they never will. Ask the recruiter for nurse references.

There are a lot of great companies with wonderful opportunities.

Feel free to call me at 1.888.272.7427 I will be happy to help you get startred.

Michelle
    Providence Health Care Staffing

Remember that ultimately you need to put what you want first. When working witha recruiter be honest and expect the same from them. When I set my nurses up on assignments I make sure I know what is most important to them. Also if your motivated strickly by money look for strike/short-term type companies. If you want give me a call and I would love to answer any questions you have, and also let you know how my company works. Good luck!
    Tyler Painter
    tpainter@accessnurses.com
    1-866-687-7390 x 11408