Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the Different betwen Male Nurse and Female Nurse in the Ward?

Re: What is the Different betwen Male Nurse and Female Nurse in the Ward?

Quote Originally Posted by Indonurse View Post
    huhahhahah???

I am working in Surgical Ward in Hospital in Kuwait, That really I hate my job when i have to do Shaving and Skin preparation for my patient before they are going for Surgery.

What is your opinion if the Female Staff Nurse is doing Shaving for Male patient?
    IMHO, in the U.S. problems usually don't arise regards to female nurses providing care to male patients. However, with the roles reversed, i.e. a male nurse placing foley catheter in an awake female patient, performing feminine hygiene, etc. can be tricky.

If, your referring to something like an abdominal shave prep for surgery this should not be a gender issue, IMHO.

Keep in mind, we need to take into consideration the cultural gap & maybe a nursing gap so to speak with nursing done in Kuwait vs. nursing done in the U.S.

:39:
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by Indonurse View Post
    huhahhahah???
    What is your opinion if the Female Staff Nurse is doing Shaving for Male patient?
    Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5 View Post
    IMHO, in the U.S. problems usually don't arise regards to female nurses providing care to male patients. However, with the roles reversed, i.e. a male nurse placing foley catheter in an awake female patient, performing feminine hygiene, etc. can be tricky.

What is your opinion of a male physician performing a gyn pelvic exam? Would that be any different than a male nurse inserting a urinary catheter? If so, then why? What about a male nurse midwife delivering a baby? Would that somehow be unacceptable? What about a female nurse inserting a catheter in a male patient? Or a male urologist inserting a catheter in a female patient? What about a male patient who thinks he's female? What then?

Not in reference to anyone who has posted in this thread, but it seems that some people would be happiest if all men in nursing were to become eunuchs.
    EUNUCH - Definitions from Dictionary.com

This gender issue needs to be dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammer View Post
    [/SIZE]

What is your opinion of a male physician performing a gyn pelvic exam? Would that be any different than a male nurse inserting a urinary catheter? If so, then why? What about a male nurse midwife delivering a baby? Would that somehow be unacceptable? What about a female nurse inserting a catheter in a male patient? Or a male urologist inserting a catheter in a female patient? What about a male patient who thinks he's female? What then?

Not in reference to anyone who has posted in this thread, but it seems that some people would be happiest if all men in nursing were to become eunuchs.
    EUNUCH - Definitions from Dictionary.com

This gender issue needs to be dismissed.
    Hey Cammer, where you been? Glad to see ya back! BTW, keep in mind the OP is not of the same culture as ours. The gender issue [i.e. males in the nursing profession] is probably way more prevalent in the Middle East.

... food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5 View Post
    Hey Cammer, where you been? Glad to see ya back! BTW, keep in mind the OP is not of the same culture as ours. The gender issue [i.e. males in the nursing profession] is probably way more prevalent in the Middle East.

... food for thought
    I was having some trouble with this site not allowing me to see threads or post. It kept telling me that there was something missing in my profile, but I wasn't able to fix it so I gave up for a while. I needed to pay more attention to family/school/work anyhow - in that order. The site seems to be working fine for me now. I'm not sure where the glitch was but it seems that it's fixed.

But more to the topic of this thread - you pointed out that the OP is from the Middle East. That's true, and in my reply I kinda went off the deep end a bit, but I really was curious to know if there is as much of an issue with gender differences when it comes to physicians and nurses in the OP's culture?

In the USA it seems that there is a perceived problem with patient care in reference to the nurse's gender. However, this problem magically disappears if the caregiver is a physician. (Can physicians really be called caregivers? !!!!) So why is this a problem? I have been asked to leave the room when a female patient needed to undress, but the male physician remained. I see a problem with that situation, possibly relating to overall public misperception of men in nursing, but I'm not sure how it relates. More thought needed there.

EDIT - By the way, I have heard anecdotal evidence that men in nursing are much more common in the Middle Eastern countries than in the USA. Just hearsay, but that is an interesting point to explore. Probably related to the cultural taboo against cross gender caregiving therefore requiring same sex nurses and an overall more equal gender ratio.

"EDIT - By the way, I have heard anecdotal evidence that men in nursing are much more common in the Middle Eastern countries than in the USA. Just hearsay, but that is an interesting point to explore. Probably related to the cultural taboo against cross gender caregiving therefore requiring same sex nurses and an overall more equal gender ratio." - Cammer

Maybe the OP [Indonurse] can elaborate further?

----

I work in stepdown. I'm the only male nurse there evening shift. what's the difference between me and the females? coming from the patients they say the females are noisier. :endof:

Member Extraordinaire

Cool Re: What is the Different betwen Male Nurse and Female Nurse in the Ward?

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    coming from the patients they say the females are noisier. :endof:
    I would have to agree with you on that one. My unit has some very big mouths and you leave with a headache if you work with 3 of the biggest talkers on a single shift they all talk at once and nobody listens and the phone rings and their kids call and their friends, sisters, parents, ex-in-laws. All are great in their jobs but they're talking and they can't shut up. One says her husband says she talks in her sleep and I've been on a trip with one of the other ones and I know she does....and our night shift can be worse

Quote Originally Posted by cassioo View Post
    I would have to agree with you on that one. My unit has some very big mouths and you leave with a headache if you work with 3 of the biggest talkers on a single shift they all talk at once and nobody listens and the phone rings and their kids call and their friends, sisters, parents, ex-in-laws. All are great in their jobs but they're talking and they can't shut up. One says her husband says she talks in her sleep and I've been on a trip with one of the other ones and I know she does....and our night shift can be worse

EXACTLY. When i read your post it sounded like you work at the same unit as I do. The unit is so loud specially my co-workers that i just call the monitor tech. on her extension so that i could ask her some questions regarding a patients heart rythm. and I'm more or less 10 feet away from her.:firedup:

Indonurse

Exclamation Re: What is the Different betwen Male Nurse and Female Nurse in the Ward?

How is this Post??

Now...What do yo thing?? How Female can Work in Male Ward but Male can't work in Female Ward?? this is unfair, I like to work in Female Ward..is it possible???

:frustrated: :whipping:

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    What is the Difference between Male Nurse and Female Nurse in the Ward?
    um.... genitalia, boobs, facial hair (sometimes....)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast