Thread: finish lvn or go adn?

Question finish lvn or go adn?

Just found out i have been accepted in the adn program for this fall and i have all my pre and proreqs done but i am currently finishing level II of lvn.The only reason i went the lvn route is because i didn't get accepted in June and i thought i would have a long wait because of my gpa. I've been going to school fulltime since fall 2003, i'm an older student and i'm ready for a break from school. What would you do?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: finish lvn or go adn?

When's your estimated time of finishing LVN school? Of course, I did the LPN to RN bit, so....a bit biased here.

'Cat'

If your close to finishing the LVN program, then stay. However, if your not close, then take a break to recharge yourself for the upcoming ADN program.

Either way, you will do well in the ADN program. Congrats and let us know what you decide.

BTW, welcome to our site, too!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by debjasso View Post
    Just found out i have been accepted in the adn program for this fall and i have all my pre and proreqs done but i am currently finishing level II of lvn.The only reason i went the lvn route is because i didn't get accepted in June and i thought i would have a long wait because of my gpa. I've been going to school fulltime since fall 2003, i'm an older student and i'm ready for a break from school. What would you do?
    First, I would speak to the school that accepted you and explain your dilemma; then ask them if you chose to complete your LPN program, can you apply again with advanced standing since you did complete an LPN program. Most schools do that, I understand, and would probably want you to pass NCLEX-PN. Personally, I would go ahead and complete what I started, because what if the RN program is too difficult and you wind up with nothing? Not wishing or believeing this would happen to you, but, with this, you can have a foundation in nursing to pull from when you enter into an RN program. :luck:

I went to LVN school first and am now going to RN school. It has been thirty years in between! When you stop going to school, for whatever reason, it is tough to get back into it again. I, personally, regret that it took me so long to get back into school, but somewhere along the way, life happened. Were it me, I'd recommend that you don't even slow down for the LVN route. Keep going full blast for that RN. You will be much happier!!!:houra: