Thread: 1yr recent experience requirement????!!!!???

1yr recent experience requirement????!!!!???

Ok here is the problem, I'm trying to get my first assignment but everyone wants 1 yr recent experience in the specialty, even for med/surg! Hello? Is med/surg not the basics? I mean I have recent experience but not 1 yr consistently in one specialty. a couple of months here, a couple months there....etc.

So how should I proceed?:frustrated:

justatraveler

Re: 1yr recent experience requirement????!!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by srogersrn View Post
    Ok here is the problem, I'm trying to get my first assignment but everyone wants 1 yr recent experience in the specialty, even for med/surg! Hello? Is med/surg not the basics? I mean I have recent experience but not 1 yr consistently in one specialty. a couple of months here, a couple months there....etc.

So how should I proceed?:frustrated:
    :firedup: :firedup:

M/S is the basics??? WOW....eeeeeeeeeee Then why can't you just do the basics for 1 year. Shouldn't be too difficult now should it????????

How to proceed?? If you want to play the fiddle you have to pay the piper.

Get a year in something and go from there..............

BTW I'd hurry up if I were you. Many hospitals are requiring 2 years for many specialities even the BASICS..

Sorry you just hit the one nerve I had left today...:houra: :houra: :luck:

justatraveler, I don't understand your need to eat your own here, but it is inappropriate.

srogersrn,

Most companies want one year of experience in a hospital setting.

If you don't have that, you will need to continue on until you do have that experience.

If you do have one year of nursing then you should be able to get a job travelling in a med surg position.

justatraveler

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C. View Post
    justatraveler, I don't understand your need to eat your own here, but it is inappropriate.

srogersrn,

Most companies want one year of experience in a hospital setting.

If you don't have that, you will need to continue on until you do have that experience.

If you do have one year of nursing then you should be able to get a job travelling in a med surg position.
    Ya know what. The OP called M/S the BASICS.. Is that what you call M/S just the basics????????????????

I've been a nurse probably before you were a gleam in your father's eye. And I'll tell you and every other nurse that M/S is not the BASICS. I dont' particularily like any nurse downing another group of nurses.

The OP seems to have a chip on his/her shoulder thinking that he/she is better than the rest of us and why should he/she have to meet a minimium requirement other travel nurses have to.

How long have you been traveling???

BTW you asked me to come back but you haven't changed your stripes either..

Chao.....

Please post instructions as to how to delete my membership here. Or just out and out ban me if you don't need my wisdom.....................

You spelled ciao wrong. I am in full agreement with Aaron C. This aggressive attitude is part of the reason for the nursing shortage that we are struggling with. I respect your right to have an opinion Justatraveler, however the tone at which you expessed it was down right nasty. If srogersrn is wrong in thinking that MS is "just the basics" then please constructively tell us how she is wrong and instruct us on what are the basics as opposed to tearing her head off like a caged lion.

Exclamation Re: 1yr recent experience requirement????!!!!???

Ya know....I don't think "justatraveler" truly read my question.

I have been a nurse for 7 years, 1 yr experience in the hospital setting is not a problem!

The problem is that I have never TRAVELED before, but in the past year I worked like 3 mons. ER, 4 mons. Tele, etc......

So the problem I was having was finding an agency that wanted to see on paper that I had been in one hospital, in one area for a consecutive year from yesterday.

Oh and my comment about M/S being the basics its because ER, ICU, PACU.....areas like that are specialty areas. I was not disrespecting anyone!

Maybe "justatraveler" should take a moment for an ego check, or maybe a vacation.....

Quote Originally Posted by srogersrn View Post
    Ya know....I don't think "justatraveler" truly read my question.

I have been a nurse for 7 years, 1 yr experience in the hospital setting is not a problem!

The problem is that I have never TRAVELED before, but in the past year I worked like 3 mons. ER, 4 mons. Tele, etc......

So the problem I was having was finding an agency that wanted to see on paper that I had been in one hospital, in one area for a consecutive year from yesterday.

Oh and my comment about M/S being the basics its because ER, ICU, PACU.....areas like that are specialty areas. I was not disrespecting anyone!

Maybe "justatraveler" should take a moment for an ego check, or maybe a vacation.....
    Your intention may not be to disrespect anyone but the fact is you are.

Med/Surg is a speciality whether YOU consider it to be or not.
    Maybe you'd like to discuss it with the ANCC? Or maybe you'd like to discuss it's speciality label with the nurses who sign their name RN-BC? As a former M/S I am feeling very disrespected by you and several other memebers of this board.

If M/S is the basics why can't you do a year there? After all you've done ER and Tele. M/S should be a cake walk eh?

As for ego's. I'd suggest you leave your's on the doorstep.

But then again maybe justatraveler should have pointed you to one of the travel companies that would take you without a year of experience and watched you fall flat on your face, perhaps losing your license in the process. Would that have been better advise?