Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Help Help Help Now!

Unhappy Help Help Help Now!!!

Yesterday, I got pulled from my nursing floor to the Human Resource head, and my manager. They stated that they had suspicion that I was diverting narcotics. I said nothing. They then stated that I could take a drug test and go on suspension pending results and further investigation, or just terminate my position. I chose the drug test. I am on Lortab for arthritis, and I disclosed this to them. I am sitting at home with my husband and 2-year old so worried. I am guilty, and I know that my documentation will show this in a matter of time. My question is, should I get an attorney and fight this, or should I report this to my Board in Nevada, to save my career? Is there anyone out there that has been in this exact position? I have not admitted any guilt so far to my employer. I just don't want to do the wrong steps, and I want to keep my license. What should I do? Admit guilt? Call the Board, cause my employer is going to report this to them. I just want to take the right steps to protect myself and my license. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!! I am in total dispair. If I have to do a treatment program, I will,anything to keep my license/career!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Help Help Help Now!!!

You do have a legal prescription for the Lor-tab, correct? The doctor can verify this, correct?

'Cat'

Yes, but some of documentation is not up to par, so the Lortab is irrelevent. I just want to know if I should just terminate my job now, and go get another job, or report this to the board? Also, will I have any legal ramifications regarding diverting?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Best thing is the lawyer, to protect your license. Good luck, and keep us posted.

'Cat'

Thumbs up Re: Help Help Help Now!!!

Honesty is the best policy. If you have made a wrong choice, own up to it now for your benefit and the benefit of your family. Just take a few deep breaths and get your head together. Write down the facts.
    You need help. Your nsg board can get you into a program, but only you can can cmmit to do the work. Obtaining an attorney is a good idea. You may want one experienced in employment law.
    I've never been in the situation you are, but I have a good friend who was. Be gentle with yourself and take control of the wheel while you can. You'll be pleasantly surprised how good you'll feel and how much your life will improve!

Smile Reply to "Help me Now"

Please come clean with your employer. They will conduct an investigation into your medication dispensing and will discover you are not being forthright. Three years ago today I was called to HR. I told them I was diverting and said I would cooperate with their investigation. I then turned myself in to the board of nursing diversion program before the hospital had a chance to do it. The hospital rewarded my honesty by allowing me to quit instead of being fired. In the eyes of the BRN I self reported giving me the freedom to drop out of diversion if I chose to do so later. I am lucky no legal consequences resulted.
    The last three years of my life have been difficult but so rewarding. I have discovered a happiness in sobriety I never knew. I am back to patient care (different hospital), have been sober 3 years today and have my license intact.
    I pray you find a solution that brings you peace and comfort.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Here's the thing from a nurse in diversion - There is a misunderstanding that if a nurse has a prescription for a mind altering medication it's all right to take it. Most nurse practice acts are very clear that taking opiets, sedative, traquilizers etc is not allowed within 24 hours of starting a shift. I have met many nurses in diversion who were taking legally prescribed medications phentramine, xanax, ativan, vicodin, lortab etc. This is simply a matter of public safety. That's why a nurse who gets a drunk driving can end up in diversion even if they never drank at work. It's all very complicated.

I believe that you should be up front and honest with your employer. If you are taking lortab so be it. When you say there are problems with documentation what does that mean? If you are diverting and I'm not saying you are then you do have a problem with substance use. There are two ways to go - you can confess to everything and go into diversion which in most states is a 3-5 year program of monitored recovery. You can go go the probation route which is a bit shorter - but leaves a mark on your license.
    You can say nothing and get a lawyer - but since you've already taken the test they have all the evidence they need. Ultimately you will most likely lose your job no matter what. Just remember it's not the end of the world. In both diversion and probabtion you will be suspended from practice for 6 mos to a year. You will have to go through some type of substance abuse treatment and then will be gradually reintroduced to you work. Plus you have to call in everyday to see if you have to do a UDS that day. It's all a big pain in the arse but I do have to say it's the best thing that ver happened to me because I have been clean and sober for 2.5 years and a slowly becoming free of my demons.

Good luck to you
    I will keep you in my daily meditation
    Hppy

First hand experience is always best and sounds like the post(s) by CABAYRN & hppygr8ful are worth gold to you right now.

I can only add, act fast & be strong...you have a difficult road ahead that will be very rough, then smooth out as time passes.

Good luck!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Unhappy Re: Help Help Help Now!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I am thinking of just confessing, and moving on. I just want to know if you are allowed to work during a diversion program? And if not, how long is it until you can? I ahve a family to support. I was also thinking of doing a full outpatient treatment, and hope that once the Board finds out about this, they will be accepting to the fact that I already have taken the steps toward recovery. Or should I just tell the Board now? Help me sort through all of this, it is aging me BIG TIME!!

I just wanted to add, good luck!!

I work with two nurses on my unit that are in the state's assistance program. They are excellent nurses and great people!!

Your posts aren't that clear. Were you diverting? Did you have a prescription for Lortab? I think the other reply is correct. Although having a prescription may keep you out of legal trouble, you can't be under the influence of those meds and care for patients. Think airline pilot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast