Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Who Attempted To Rip Out Nurse's Vocal Cords

Man Who Attempted To Rip Out Nurse\'s Vocal Cords

November 5, 2004: New York: Man Who Attempted To Rip Out Nurse's Vocal Cords Convicted:"30-year-old Bronx man has been convicted of assaulting a nurse at Bronx Lebanon Hospital in March 2002. Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson said Andre Jeffries admitted to beating Charina Adamos. Jeffries could get 14 years in prison when he is sentenced Nov. 29. Johnson said Jeffries was hiding in the emergency room at the hospital on March 2, 2002 when the nurse walked in. The suspect allegedly grabbed the woman's smock and demanded money. He then allegedly punched her in the head several times."
    http://www.wnbc.com/news/3895482/detail.html

As if we needed an argument for better security in hospitals and especially the Emergency Department.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Re: Man Who Attempted To Rip Out Nurse\'s Vocal Cords

when I was in school we were told not to were our uniforms because the ganges were raping nurses as an initiation into the gang. Scary

With all the sex kitten stereotypes we see from Hollywood, I can see how nurses would be targeted.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Are you saying that nurses ask to be assaulted? Are you saying because we wear a skirt we are 'asking" for it?

WR,,, three commas for Becca

[ QUOTE ]
    WRRN said:Are you saying that nurses ask to be assaulted? Are you saying because we wear a skirt we are 'asking" for it?WR,,, three commas for Becca

[/ QUOTE ]That's right ! That's exactly what lam is saying.

wow! all I said was that we were told that we should not wear our uniforms (pants or skirts) so that we would not be recognised as a nurse due to the fact that the gangs were using nurses for an initiation into the gang by raping them. It was as a precaution. Rape is a violent act and has nothing to do with "asking for it" Wouldn't you take precautions if this gang was targeting another group of people. I think that the gangs raping nurses had more to do with the white/purity thing then any thing. It was an initiation.

[ QUOTE ]
    WRRN said:
    Are you saying that nurses ask to be assaulted? Are you saying because we wear a skirt we are 'asking" for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? My statement was:

"With all the sex kitten stereotypes we see from Hollywood, I can see how nurses would be targeted."

What does that have to do with anyone "asking for it"?

Try educating yourself on nursing stereotypes Hollywood insists on perpetuating.

Q: What's the big deal about "naughty nurse" images in the media? I mean, no one believes nurses really dress like that!

A: Linking sexual images so closely to the profession of nursing--to even the fantasy idea that working nurses are sexually available to patients--reinforces long-standing stereotypes. Those stereotypes continue to discourage practicing and potential nurses, foster sexual violence in the workplace, and contribute to a general atmosphere of disrespect. Desexualizing the nursing image is a key part of building the strength the profession needs to overcome the current shortage, which threatens lives worldwide, and to meet the challenges of 21st Century health care."
    The Center for Nursing Advocacy
    203 Churchwardens Rd.
    Baltimore, Maryland (MD) 21212-2937 USA
    Phone: 1.410.323.1100
    Fax: 1.443.705.0260
    http://www.nursingadvocacy.org/faq/naughty_nurse.html

Andrew Lopez, RN

Who died and left you in charge of my education.. Do these Hollywood sterotypes put male nurses at risk?????

WR,,, three commas for Becca

You make it sound like nurses endorse the Hollywood sterotypes. I believe that couldn't be farther from the truth. Are female lawyers at increased risk from the Hollywood sterotypes too.

Personally, I hardly believe much of what the media in this country spews out.. I believe they are in the business of selling something to me...Don't you?

When did desexulixing nursing become an intregal part of easing the nursing shortage.. OMG that's a real stretch. Are you saying because some nurse is portrayed as sexy another nurse won't go into the field. Personally I'd think the opposite would be true. Isn't that one of the major reasons many teens want to be pop singers, and models?

Nursing unfortunately has been thought of as less than honorable. But, I thought we had gotten past that. I had an aunt that thought nurses were sluts just because she thought nurses had access to birth control. Flornce Nightengale had STD from sleeping with the wounded soldiers, so the story goes. A few years ago when I was surfing the net looking for some nursing sights I found one that was nothing but pure sex and they claimed to be nurses. Did not stay at the site long enough to investigate it. I haven't run into it since.

[ QUOTE ]
    WRRN said:
    Who died and left you in charge of my education.. Do these Hollywood sterotypes put male nurses at risk?????

[/ QUOTE ]

You are by making clearly uneducated and misleading statements to me. Of course Hollywood affects male nurses. You haven't seen Ben Stiller in "Meet the Parents" or "Meet the Fockers" I guess.

Andrew Lopez, RN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast