Thread: G'Day

Smile G'Day

Hello everyone,

I am a student nurse in my first year at university in Aus, I am looking forward to the challenge and would love to work my way up to being and emergency nurse and then flight nurse...I would love to hear any comments on what it is like to work in an ED....Thanks alot! Look forward to talking more with you....B

Re: G'Day

I have about 15 years of ER experience and its my favorite area of nursing depending on where I am doing the work. I have found that for the ER I prefer a busy large hospital with a level 1 or 2 trauma rating. I have worked at small military hospitals where the ER can be pretty boring. A Gun and Knife club type hospital is the most "fun" (sorry) for me. I don't like sitting around waiting for something to happen when I am at work.

The only other comment I have relates to the above. When you work the ER you need to have your job skills down "cold". In a busy environment you don't have time to look somethnig up in the manual. Find out what you need to know for your job (competencies) and spend the time necessary to learn them well. A new nurse in the ER must have a solid orientation plan and follow through on it.

thanks for listening

Re: G'Day

Thanks alot for replying. I do understand that its a fast paced quick thinking job, but I will be prepared for that. Atm we are only studying the basic nursing procedures which to me is so boring, I cannot wait for my first clinical placement so I can see what it is really like. Thanks B