Thread: School nurse office a 'safe haven' for students

School nurse office a \'safe haven\' for students

Wednesday, November 10, 2004: School nurse office a 'safe haven' for students:"Franklin High School nurse Virginia Sundberg carefully examines a splint she placed on a student's thumb a few hours earlier.
    "I splinted it, but it's not responding to first aid treatment," said Sundberg. "He hurt it playing football two days ago. He needs X-rays and I told him he needs to go see the doctor. Sometimes the students think the pain will just go away, but he can't move it. It's good for us to give these kids a push for treatment when they need it."
    The life of a school nurse these days can be very hectic. According to the National Association of School Nurses, there should be one school nurse per 750 students that do not have health problems. Sundberg, with the help of a part-time health aide, is faced every day with about 1,500 students at Franklin High School."
    http://www.milforddailynews.com/loca...rticleid=59535

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Anonymous

Re: School nurse office a \'safe haven\' for student

It is also important to contact home as well. I have a Nursing Consult form letter that I give to students, and I try to make a contact at the home phone as well, so that the parent/guardian knows to ask for the form and to relate what happened. Telling teens what they ned to do often does not get the information to the person who needs to hear it--little ones are better at relating what happened that day, as we all know.
    I'm a little confused about the title for this conversation being "...a safe haven." But on that topic, i couldn't agree more. I work in a alternative middle school/high school, and I am the only freely accessible adult in the building who does not "consequence" kids for behavior. Of course, I have limits and rules for conduct i the office. But I am grateful to be in a unique position to offer kids unconditional positive regard when they walk through the door. many times, that's all the kids really need. Not that it is a long-term fix, but it helps them get through the day and gives them a break from the tension of being monitored for "appropriateness" every minute they are in school.