Thread: American Nursing Informatics Association

American Nursing Informatics Association

American Nursing Informatics Association (ANIA):"American Nursing Informatics Association (ANIA) promotes nursing informatics through networking, education, research, and professional activities. Within these pages, you are introduced to one of the newest specialties in nursing and provided links to other related informatics and healthcare sites."
    American Nursing Informatics Association
    PMB 105
    10808 Foothill Blvd. Ste 160
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
    web@ania.org
    http://www.ania.org/

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursingdiscussions.com

Re: American Nursing Informatics Association

My curiosity got the better of me and I went to the site you posted and now I know less that I did before. I know that I'm Old School but WTF is nursing informatics? And do these people get paid American money for doing it?

O_S

Nursing Informatics is a nursing speciality where nurses teach other nurses to use a computer in their work environment, among other things. Some of them also work with programmers to help them write the programs for Electronic Medical Records and such.. They work for hospital and for computer companies..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I think they do other things with computers too but I certainly don't know all of their job description. It is a fairly new speciality up and coming . You can get a Master's in Nursing Informatics now and be certified just as you could be in M/S.. Some nurses started with these computer companies and don't necessarily have the degrees but they do have the know how for the system they are using ..

So they figured out a way to be nurses but do not have to deal with actual patients. How cool is that !

Then they think up ways to make our lives easier by networking, education, research and professional activities. Yahoo !

And then they get their own forum. Sweet !

Sign me up, I want to be an informaniac ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School
    My curiosity got the better of me and I went to the site you posted and now I know less that I did before. I know that I'm Old School but WTF is nursing informatics? And do these people get paid American money for doing it?

O_S
    I work in the field. For me my day includes talking to nurses and other clinicians to see how they perform their daily work. This information is used to automate their work. I take software from the vender and modify it so that our nurses can use it according to our policy, or help re-write the policy. I may create an online form that has a fall risk tool included. I may also meet with people from upper administration to the nurse at the bedside. These meetings may consist of a demonstration to show them what their screens will look like when they begin charting. It is important to make sure not to add too much scrolling or too many clicks so that the nurse has more time with the patient and the system is easier to use.
    I also ask the computer to extract data from many records at once so that managers and QI can use it instead of pulling random charts.
    Mostly I listen to Nurses, administration, and management and try to make nurses happy, and their lives easier.
    LaVerne

I am currently taking a Nursing Informatics class and i find it really compatible to my interest. I've been trying so much to gather more information about this particular field especially its job availability. I understand that it is a new field in the nursing career and from your tone of voice it sounds like you really love what you're doing but is this new career here to stay cos im really interested.

Facebook User

I currently have a BA in computer science and currently working on my BA in nursing. Would I need additional courses/degree for a nursing informatics career? Thanks

Smile Re: American Nursing Informatics Association

Quote Originally Posted by Wll View Post
    I currently have a BA in computer science and currently working on my BA in nursing. Would I need additional courses/degree for a nursing informatics career? Thanks
    Check out www.excelsior.edu. They have an MSN in informatics that may interest you. An internet search would bring up other schools that offer degrees or certificates in informatics. From what I've read on other sites, most people in nursing informatics have learned on the job.

I am new to these forums and have recently acquired a new position as a Clinical Trainer for a software company. I have experience in a position similar to this and have my BSN as well as a Bachelor's in General Studies concentration in Math and Science. I have 14 years of nursing experience mostly in acute care (telemetry, critical care) as well as 2 years of education experience teaching in an LPN program. I do not have a degree specific to Nursing Informatics, but as Cali510 said, experience on the job counts quite a bit. I am so grateful to have obtained this position, as I truly believe it was in my Higher Power's plan. I could not have worked things out so well myself. I had 5 years of sobriety up until almost a year ago and went back for more, was out for about 6 months, and am now FINALLY able to turn things over and get out of the way. This area of nusing will allow me to practice nursing in a safe environment for me and I just cannot emphasize enough how grateful I am and excited to begin the process. I currently have entered a new agreement with a monitoring program that is fairly new to me (I was is another state's program up until this relpse). Appreciate any suggestions/experience/comments. Thanks!