Thread: Attention Students! Help..

Red face Attention Students! Help..

I was just accepted to nursing school, but I am having second thoughts. My problem is, I have a very very weak stomach. And, I know everyone says you will get used to it, but I really don't know, I can't even look at other people's food. My question is: How much dirty work do you see in nursing school? Is this a practical major for me or should I consider pursuing another interest? I would really appreciate your help on this, it is a big decision!:yikes:

Re: Attention Students! Help..

I had a weak stomach growing up also but have had no problem as a nurse. Sure, you will have to do "yucky" things as a nurse but you have to get over having a problem with it. You certainly would not want the patient to feel you were having a problem cleaning up their feces and urine and changing their diaper and doing that digital on them to alleve their being impacted......you can't shy away from the blood and other liquids from the weeping wounds.

Seriously, its not just "dirty" work in nursing school but in the job after school. As I have stated many times thought......if you can get that license you can find a position that fits you somewhere......there are hundreds of different nursing jobs and some where you don't have to deal with "yucky" stuff.

:luck:

I have met several nurses who claim they "just can't do" certain bodily excretions, whether it is tarry diarrhea or thick bronchial mucus or the smell of blood coming from an open chest cavity in the OR. In the end, though, they do handle it - I think they just put aside their visceral reactions because they know they need to get things done. You're not alone in having doubts about the "gross" part of nursing. I think most people are stronger than they think they are, and pyschological resolve has a lot to do with it. I also had doubts before I started - I was afraid I would be too shaky to be able to give any injections whatsoever, but when the time came, I was surprised to find that everything felt natural and comfortable. So who knows how it might turn out for you - the only way to find out is to try!

P.S. You see "dirty" stuff every day in Med-Surg.

best advice i can give :

"just do it"

im starting on an RN degree now, but ive been in EMS as an Army medic/ paramedic since 82. youll never know if u can do it till u try.

ive usually found myself to busy to get sick till i have time to think about it later.
    we did mouth to mouth back in the day with out barrier devices or even gloves let alone a BVM device. (not sumthing i do anymore)

although a couple months ago we had a drunk that was covered in the vomit that only a drunk will be covered in and i was dry heaving; i was driving with windows open; my partner was in back with patient.

but u can power thru most things.

if its not for u youll know soon enuff.

ciao,

brett
    brett

ER RN

ambulance driver

"when it matters most"