Thread: Disaster is about to strike..should the nurse stay

Disaster is about to strike..should the nurse stay

I am a student in nursing school and we are working on a project. It is a debate assignment where we as a group have to pick sides. Our topic is: Distater is about to strike, should the nurse go to work? We are asking for opinions or personal experiences of situations where you as a nurse stayed at work or chose to go to work during this situation. The disaster can be of any type, hurricane, tornado, or a traumatic event such as 9/11. We want to know if nurses should stay at work or go into work when they are not scheduled. Is it a nurses obligation to help out in this sort of situation or would you stay at home with your family? I picked the "pro" side, I do think nurses should go to work in times when disaster is about to strike. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Disaster is about to strike..should the nurse stay

It depends on the nature of the disaster and the individual nurses family situation. If there is good family support at home (parents, spouse, siblings) the nurse should report to work. But if you are a single mom, your kids are young, and there is no guarantee you are going to be back at a specified time, you responsibility is to your family. It may be possible in some situations with older children to bring them with you. You may have a neighbor or friend who will keep them. But small children need a parent near in scarry times. Personally, I went to work on 9-11. My kids were teenagers and I felt it was best to have them in a supervised envirornment if there were any further events. It was unlikely here on the west coast, but I worked in a town that had a very large military base nearby.

Member Extraordinaire

I have not gone to work when there has been a blizzard because I live 30 miles from work. I would have gone if they'd have come to get me but they wouldn't because I live across the state line from work but they'd drive 45 miles on worse roads to try and get people. I've also slept at the hospital when there's been ice/snow because by the time I'd get off at 7pm and get home my usual drive would have taken much longer then I wouldn't have gotten back...but as said above it's also a home situation my husband is SAHD (retired USAF) so he's here for our 8 yr old. If I had a tornado hit my house I'd probably skip gonig to work. I've stayed at work when we've had emergency alerts like factory emergencies, people sick on paddlewheelers. It would just depend...but I also figure I was looking for a job when I got this one and if my family is in need nope I'm not going to work.

Cassioo, that's something I have been thinking about, how do nurses manage in states that have REAL bad weather. I'm thinking of moving to a mountain state from California. I told my husband we will need to live fairly close to work because nurses don't get "snow days". Top that off with the fact I've never driven in snow. A traveler I currently work with said he knows of people who block schedule their days and stay at a motel nearby. I know if it was me, I would want the next shift to come in and relieve me. It will be quite interesting to see how all of this will work out.

Member Extraordinaire

I don't live in a really bad part of the state that usually gets lots of bad weather for days on end so I don't know what they do in places that get feet of snow on a routine basis. You do have to have relief to leave the job there are always people that can make it in when it has been bad the hospital does try to make arrangements for any employees who need to stay even suppling personal care items, meals etc when they can't get home.

Member Extraordinaire

I'm from WI- so I'm used to lots of snow. There's been a few times when I've spent the night at the hospital because of weather, or stayed to work an extra shift because the next shift could not make it to the hospital. I didn't mind- I got paid a LOT to do it. Now as a traveler, I'm in Naples, FL. I won't be here for hurricane season, but I've learned that if there is a hurricane, all staff members are required to be at the hospital 24 hours before the hurricane is due to hit. Staff members have brought their spouses & kids with them, and they all stay in the hospital. Personally, I would rather be at the hospital during a hurricane than anywhere else- it's safer, & you've got power from a generator!