Thread: Dialysis Interview Tips?

Red face Dialysis Interview Tips?

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I am going to interview for a position at a dialysis center this week and am looking for some advice on what is important for me to ask on this type of interview. What are good staffing ratios? What would a good orientation program consist of? What are things I need to look for that are indicative of poor or unsafe working conditions? What is a decent salary? I've been out of nursing for several years and really hate interviewing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, dialysis nursing will be new to me.

Re: Dialysis Interview Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by kspauzer View Post
    Hi! I'm new to this forum. I am going to interview for a position at a dialysis center this week and am looking for some advice on what is important for me to ask on this type of interview. What are good staffing ratios? What would a good orientation program consist of? What are things I need to look for that are indicative of poor or unsafe working conditions? What is a decent salary? I've been out of nursing for several years and really hate interviewing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, dialysis nursing will be new to me.

Most states mandate staffing in the dialysis units or competition does it. 10-1 RN and 4-1 Tech.

Orientation 6-8 weeks. Some book learning, some OJT, techs usually train you on the machines. 1 year to feel comfortable but many companies will put you in charge at 6 months. IMHO not acceptable.

Look for fun staff, smiles, laughter, happy patients, cleanliness,up-to-date computers, preferabably point of care.

Decent salary. Depends on where you are in the country. I have a fee. Just like an electrician. Being a traveler I can do that. And if there is competition in your area remember that you can negotiate.

Do they already know you've been out for awhile? And that you've never done dialysis.

:luck:

Red face Re: Dialysis Interview Tips?

Thanks for the info. Yes, they do know my background. My resume clearly shows I've been out for a few years and shows no dialysis background. Should I be concerned that they are interviewing me without a dialysis background?

Thanks for the info. Yes, they do know my background. My resume clearly shows I've been out for a few years and shows no dialysis background. Should I be concerned that they are interviewing me without a dialysis background?

Nope. But you should be concerned that they give you an adequate orientation.

If I knew who you were interviewing with I could give you specifics. Because I've worked for most of the 'regulars" and some of the irregulars." Inside joke. :houra:

OK here I am tapping my foot. No pressure. :whipping: :whipping:

UM how'd the interview go?????????????

Hi there. Came across this site when trying to get some info on interview tips for dialysis nurses. I have an interview with DCI on Friday and any info would be greatly appreciated. I have not done nursing since graduating 3 years ago. I have my RN and currently work as a transcriptionist. What Q's should I ask and what would be a good starting salary with no nursing experience? I live in a small town outside PGH, PA and the other dialysis clinics are 10-20 miles away.