Thread: New Career

New Career

I used to be a EMT-B, let it laps about 2 years ago. I was volunteering doing that while I worked my way into my current career, airline pilot. Now I'd like to get back into the healthcare field. My thoughts were mainly of getting my RN, some friends have mentioned PA as another option but the prereqs for that are a little out of my grasp at the moment, so a RN is my first choice. So my question is wether or not getting my RN will meet some of those requirements?(Human Anatomy, organic chem, ect...) and whats the best way of going about getting the RN since I'm in a non medical career field? Idealy I'd like to get hired at a hospital and then have them pay for my schooling. How likely is it that they would do that?

Thanks for the help.

Re: New Career

Quote Originally Posted by spartus View Post
    I used to be a EMT-B, let it laps about 2 years ago. I was volunteering doing that while I worked my way into my current career, airline pilot. Now I'd like to get back into the healthcare field. My thoughts were mainly of getting my RN, some friends have mentioned PA as another option but the prereqs for that are a little out of my grasp at the moment, so a RN is my first choice. So my question is wether or not getting my RN will meet some of those requirements?(Human Anatomy, organic chem, ect...) and whats the best way of going about getting the RN since I'm in a non medical career field? Idealy I'd like to get hired at a hospital and then have them pay for my schooling. How likely is it that they would do that?

Thanks for the help.
    You could take a CNA course and then work in the hospital. Many will give you a "full ride" if you commit to working for them a certain number of years post graduation.

You'll have to ask them.

As an aside. Are you willing to work nights, weekends, and for much lower pay than an airline pilot? Just curious.

Nights, weekens, and holidays arn't a issue. As far as the lower pay, it depends on ones view of what a airline pilot makes, lol, low 30k for my position (hasn't moved much in the past 5 years). That why I was wondering about employment at a hospital then taking classes.

Thats for the replay.

Nights, weekens, and holidays arn't a issue. As far as the lower pay, it depends on ones view of what a airline pilot makes, lol, low 30k for my position (hasn't moved much in the past 5 years). That why I was wondering about employment at a hospital then taking classes.

Thats for the replay.
    As a CNA you might not make much more than $10 an hour. Depends on where you are located in the USA. Also, as you get farther into your RN program you may have to cut back on hours.

Just hate to see you get into something you're not prepared for.

Good luck.

NH eh? Mainah here.

Maine huh? cool.

Thats why I'm trying to get as much info as possible before any commitment is made. I appreciate the input.

Maine huh? cool.

Thats why I'm trying to get as much info as possible before any commitment is made. I appreciate the input.
    I haven't been home since last April though.. Gonna stop by in May though.. Gotta see my doc etc. Check on condo.. Eat some lobster, check out the beach. Ya know the usual.

Don't know where you are exactly but I bet Portsmouth would take you on in heart beat.