Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Navy Nurse Corps

U.S. Navy Nurse Corps

Hello. This is my first time on this website. I am pretty impressed.
    I am on here to ask anyone on specific specialties in Navy Nursing.
    Which is field or specialty is in high demand in Navy Nursing?
    -anesthesia
    -surgery
    -critical care
    -general
    -cardiac
    etc.
    If I have left any out, please let me know. I am aware that the needs of the navy change and the forcasting maybe hard to tell.

A little about myself, I am not an RN yet. I have a long way to go. I am certified firefighter currently in EMT school. I will go into Paramedic school. Then, on my own time I apply for a transitional nursing program to get a ASN. Finally, apply for a nursing program to earn a BSN. I am aware that is the degree requirement for the Navy Nurse Corps. I already have Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field.
    I am not looking to join the Active Duty Navy but the Reserves so I can do both the Firefighting and nursing (civilian and military).
    Thanks

Exclamation Late reply...

Quote Originally Posted by DRman76 View Post
    -anesthesia
    -surgery
    -critical care
    -general
    -cardiac
    etc.
    If I have left any out, please let me know. I am aware that the needs of the navy change and the forcasting maybe hard to tell.

A little about myself, I am not an RN yet. I have a long way to go. I am certified firefighter currently in EMT school. I will go into Paramedic school. Then, on my own time I apply for a transitional nursing program to get a ASN. Finally, apply for a nursing program to earn a BSN. I am aware that is the degree requirement for the Navy Nurse Corps. I already have Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field.
    I am not looking to join the Active Duty Navy but the Reserves so I can do both the Firefighting and nursing (civilian and military).
    Thanks
    FYI; The Military Reserves is no longer a one weekend per month / two weeks out of the year duty. The Reserves & Guard are being activated/mobilized now more than any other time in American histroy.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Re: U.S. Navy Nurse Corps

Quote Originally Posted by DRman76 View Post
    -anesthesia
    -surgery
    -critical care
    -general
    -cardiac
    etc.

Thanks
    Anything in the specialty fields are in high demand in the Navy. As a nurse with a BS in an unrelated field, if you get your AS in nursing and pass the NCLEX exam I think you can apply to the Navy Nurse Corps without a BSN. You may want to check that out. If you want, I am willing to check it out through my connections. I used to teach Hospital Corpsman A School when I was a Navy Nurse and did much career type research in students that wanted to get commissions.

I can tell you of all the specialties you listed the one that will guarentee big bucks in the end is CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesia provider). They are in great demand as there aren't enough of them anywhere. Currently I work as a Peri-Operative Services manager and know just how difficult it is to find good anesthesia people. They make around $200,000/year depending on how many cases they do. Check it out by researching salary.com or the US Labor website. To attend anesthesia school you will need critical care experience. The Navy will put you through the school but to get selected is very competitive. But not unattainable. I have several friends that have selected this route. None of them regretted their decision.

Feel free to write me if you want more info. I did 20 years in the Navy and enjoyed every minute of it.

Kind Regards,
    Mary

Navy Nurse

Hey you guys i was wondering if any of you are Nurses in the Navy. I am looking to join in april and have a ton of questions. Thanks.

Joining the Navy

Can anyone tell me a little about being a Navy Nurse. Pay, Bonuses, etc. Thanks

Re: Joining the Navy

Enclosed is a link to information on the Navy Nurse Corp and also the name of a navy reuiter. I hope this helps. Even though I am going into the Army Nurse Corp, the Navy also has good benefits and training. Good Luck!

Nurses: Health Care: Careers & Jobs: Navy

Lieutenant Mike Menke
    Officer Programs
    NRD Jacksonville
    4070 Boulevard Center Dr.
    Jacksonville, FL 32207
    800.888.6289 x1138
    904.399.3896 Fax
    Michael.J.Menke@navy.mil

Quote Originally Posted by syudent1010@aol.com View Post
    Enclosed is a link to information on the Navy Nurse Corp and also the name of a navy reuiter. I hope this helps. Even though I am going into the Army Nurse Corp, the Navy also has good benefits and training. Good Luck!

Nurses: Health Care: Careers & Jobs: Navy

Lieutenant Mike Menke
    Officer Programs
    NRD Jacksonville
    4070 Boulevard Center Dr.
    Jacksonville, FL 32207
    800.888.6289 x1138
    904.399.3896 Fax
    Michael.J.Menke@navy.mil
    FYI; The Army Nurse Corps has the longest deployments out of all the military nurse corps [AF, Navy, Army]. However, rumor has it General Pollock, Army, is pushing really hard for the max to be six months D/T retention is a severe problem right now in the ANC. However, I will believe it only when I see it has an official AR. BTW, my deployment orders read 376 days, or until mission completed. And, we were extended from 12 to 15 months.

Those not single should take into strong consideration deployment length when considering Army, AF, or Navy. I will say that out of the three rank [promotion] can be obtained quickest in the ANC, while deployments are shortest in the AF nurse corps.

... just food for thought
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Ok, I am sort of jumping on the bandwagon here...straying from the student's lounge...
    I would also like to get into military nursing. My entire family has been military (ladies included) and it's just something I believe makes us better citizens and more aware of our nation. Surprise, surprise, I married a military man! He was severely wounded serving in Afghanistan and we spent nearly two years at Walter Reed AMC. I don't care what they say on Fox News, etc, the nursing and medical care in general at Walter Reed was stellar and there is a big difference in the military hospital environment. Frankly, I really enjoyed the difference. Both of my parents are travelling perioperatives so I've grown up with nursing concepts. Now I am going back to school for my ADN/BSN and will be completely through (fingers crossed!) either December '09 or May '10 depending on when I can complete my BSN practicum.

My husband is now medically retired and he was Army Enlisted. My parents were Navy and I've heard all the recommendations that Navy and Air Force are nicer to their people, etc. Truth is, my husband and I do have our beefs with the Army but none of them are with Army Medical. I would very much like to take some time and give service to my country but I'm not sure which service or when is the right time to approach a recruiter. I do not have time for ROTC and am not going to try with a concurrent ADN/BSN program...there is only so much in 22 months! However I don't want to wait too long.

The fella and I are childless by choice at this point and we have dealt with deployments in both friendly and hostile locales as well. It's something he is supportive of and frankly I believe that some of the benefits for dependents are better than for retirees and would be happy to return those to him if only for 4-10 years.

Ok, that was long winded. My apologies. But does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to how to go about this in the most intelligent manner? Thanks- Toddy

You're a male....you'll do FINE in the USN NC...

PLUS, you'll be a new GN so you will actually GET recruiters to call you back because you wont require any extra leg work to get your packet going.....

Male nurses get pretty great treatment in the Navy (that's where I was so I can't speak for another service) and MOST of the male RNs I worked with were awesome... they were the most fun and could be counted on not to buy in to all the whiny *****eyness that most female nurses get wrapped up in...

I worked law enforcement for 12 yrs before going into nursing so I am not your "usual" "nancy nurse"--- I actually tell it like it is (which gets nasty response from"usual" nurses")... I also worked ER for a while so I am double "where the dog died" honest.....

If you are a GN and a male---- you'll be treated like royalty and they'll throw a parade in your honor... have fun :-)

You may not join the USN NC without a BSN... the USA NC (Army) takes ADN as a WO I believe but you will not be an Army NC Officer. Minimum is BSN for military NC Officer... thank God. (and that still doesn't mean you'll get a nurse who knows anything)....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast