Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Military Nursing

Re: Military Nursing

Hi Tom_B I suppose H2OHead is pretty much long gone from this board. This thread was started in 2002. As a matter of fact, outside of the administrators and a few diehards, we're pretty much it for posters. Lots of lurkers though. If you work in the units why not come over to the Critical Care board and we'll talk ICU stuff.

O_S

I am thinking about joining the Navy as a Officer nurse. They will help me out while I go to school by paying me $1000/mo and $10,000 signing bonus. I then have to commit to the Navy for 3-4 years. They pay around $28,000/ year plus housing and food. I know I won't get rich but from what I understand the first few years of nursing is all learning anyway, and how many people can say they were an officer in the Navy?

I do have a few questions though. Will i get enough experience in the Navy to get a high paying job as a civilian? Will I have enough exp. for travel nursing?

Can anyone share some stories with me about what to expect as a Navy nurse.

I think it sounds exciting, I guess the first few years

Might as well introduce you to it now.

Expect Male Gender Bias, BIG TIME.

Expect that others will assume you are gay, expect they'll chide you about why you didn't become a doctor instead of "just a nurse."

Gender Discrimination In Nursing, Malenursemagazine.com:"The following paper examines the history and evidence of discrimination of the male side of nursing. There will also be further examination of the evidence of male discrimination including statistics, organizational issues, and communication channels. Also discussed will be several barriers that must be overcome by male nurses, including administrative, peer, and patient issues. For the nursing profession's "men in white", discrimination is a daily occurrence in a female dominated profession."
    http://www.malenursemagazine.com/gen...imination.html

More like this, http://www.4nursing.com/gender/

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Hi,

I am not a military nurse, but I work in a military facility in Texas. The military nurses I work with do not write orders, do not suture (unless it is in there scope of practice). They most definitely go to sick call, and they work long hours with mandatory overtime. If you are a single mom, this is not the place to be. If they say go to Iraq, you better be prepared to leave your babies with father, family, or friend or get out of the military for not having a family care plan. There is no utopia for either military nurses or civilian nurses.

Hello My name is CPT Tirado and I am a Army Nurse. I work in the OR. I was recently stationed in Hawaii for 4 years. I grew up in Chicago and graduated with a BSN in 2001. After graduation I went to work for a civilian hospitol in IL for 1 year. A classmate of mine joined the Army out of school and we kept in touch for that 1 year. While she was being charge nurse, assitant head nurse, traveling, getting education opportunities to help her grow both professionaly and leadership skills, I was stuck on a oncology ward with older burned out nurses complaining about everything and not mentoring me. Also she was making far more money than I was. Joining the Army has been one of the best decisions i have made in my life. If you need any more questions answered about what incentives the Army has to offer nurses please email me ar usarec3434@yahoo.com and I will be happy to inform you, and dispell any wrong information floating out there. thank you CPT Tirado

Thumbs up Re: Military Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by pudge7272
    Hello My name is CPT Tirado and I am a Army Nurse. I work in the OR. I was recently stationed in Hawaii for 4 years. I grew up in Chicago and graduated with a BSN in 2001. After graduation I went to work for a civilian hospitol in IL for 1 year. A classmate of mine joined the Army out of school and we kept in touch for that 1 year. While she was being charge nurse, assitant head nurse, traveling, getting education opportunities to help her grow both professionaly and leadership skills, I was stuck on a oncology ward with older burned out nurses complaining about everything and not mentoring me. Also she was making far more money than I was. Joining the Army has been one of the best decisions i have made in my life. If you need any more questions answered about what incentives the Army has to offer nurses please email me ar usarec3434@yahoo.com and I will be happy to inform you, and dispell any wrong information floating out there. thank you CPT Tirado
    CPT Tirado,

Thank you for that excellent post... and your military service to the AMEDD & ANC!

Army Nurse Corps Website

HOOAH,

Cary James Barrett, 1LT AN [66H8A]
    A Co, ICU - East
    MAMC, FT Lewis, Tacoma, WA
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I've been considering ANC vs. AF. I won't be able to retire unless they raise separation age to 63. How long does it usually take to process applications before taking the oath?

While I'm at it. Any suggestions to help push me off the fence to either AF or ANC? I understand ANC promotes q18 months vs q24 months for AF. But the AF has 3-4 month deployments vs. 12 months with ANC. ANC has 14 wk basic vs. AF's 5 wk COT.

Has anyone heard that ANC won't likely offer advanced education like CRNA for those who are not retireable (like me)?

Thanks for your service and for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanseye RN
    I've been considering ANC vs. AF. I won't be able to retire unless they raise separation age to 63. How long does it usually take to process applications before taking the oath?

Has anyone heard that ANC won't likely offer advanced education like CRNA for those who are not retireable (like me)?

Thanks for your service and for your assistance.
    The application process is very tedious and can take 2-6 months.

The Army Medical Department [AMEDD] is in dire straits for qualified applicants in the Army Nurse Anesthetist [66F] program. Plus, as far as I know as long as you are under 46 years old and meet all other criteria the "not retireable " issue you mentioned is not applicable.

See an AHC Recruiter!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Are any of the branches reevaluating the age of separation?

AF is - Per recruiter, "... Dentists can sign at 60 and retirement age is 68..."

Any insights?

Brian

Hi there. I just found this site while searching for some info on Google.

I am currently a sophomore in college, and I'm considering doing ROTC for Nursing. I feel torn between Army and Air Force. Any insight from those who are currently comissioned would be great. Which one is best for Nursing and has the best opportunities and benefits? Also, what are the biggest cons for each? Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast