Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Military Nursing

Re: Military Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
    Hi there. I just found this site while searching for some info on Google.

I am currently a sophomore in college, and I'm considering doing ROTC for Nursing. I feel torn between Army and Air Force. Any insight from those who are currently comissioned would be great. Which one is best for Nursing and has the best opportunities and benefits? Also, what are the biggest cons for each? Thanks!
    Too many ambiguious questions, IMHO. If you want to ask specific questions regards to the Army Nurse Corps I'd be happy to reply.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Hi-

I'm a psych RN in Chicago for three years. I've been feeling the urge to serve my country since my brother-in-law signed up for the Marines. I'm married, no kids, and don't have much medicine experience. I've not heard of psych nursing in the military, so I would feel a bit lost in an ER or Med-Surg unit. Is the nurse-corp still up my alley, or should I contribute in another matter? Thanks for your time, Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marcados View Post
    Hi-

I'm a psych RN in Chicago for three years. I've been feeling the urge to serve my country since my brother-in-law signed up for the Marines. I'm married, no kids, and don't have much medicine experience. I've not heard of psych nursing in the military, so I would feel a bit lost in an ER or Med-Surg unit. Is the nurse-corp still up my alley, or should I contribute in another matter? Thanks for your time, Marc
    Hello Marc,

As an Army Nurse Corps Officer, you can specialize in one of the following areas; Advanced Practice Nurse, Community Health Nurse, Critical Care Nurse, CRNA, Emergency Room Nurse, Family Nurse Practitioner, Medical-Surgical Nurse, Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse Midwife, OB/GYN Nurse, Operating Room Nurse, Perioperative Nurse, and Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse.

No need for you to feel lost in the Army Nurse Corps when you could specialize in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse [66C]. If you meet these criteria you could possibly get direct commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Army Nurse Corps and specialize as Psych RN. Please, check out the link. Plus, feel free to send me a PM, or email if you further ANC questions.

To qualify for an appointment as an Officer in the Army Nurse Corps, you must:

*Meet prescribed medical/moral standards for appt as a commissioned Officer
    *Be a United States citizen
    *Have an associate’s degree in nursing or a three-year nursing diploma or a bachelor of science in nursing for Reserve
    *Have a bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) from an accredited school of nursing for Active Duty
    *Have a valid, unrestricted RN license
    *Be 21-46 years of age

ANC Specialites & Requirements

BTW, be sure to thank you brother-in-law for his service to the Corps... the United States Marine Corps. I proudly served in the USMC from 1980-1988.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by malestudent View Post
    I am thinking about joining the Navy as a Officer nurse. They will help me out while I go to school by paying me $1000/mo and $10,000 signing bonus. I then have to commit to the Navy for 3-4 years. They pay around $28,000/ year plus housing and food. I know I won't get rich but from what I understand the first few years of nursing is all learning anyway, and how many people can say they were an officer in the Navy?

I do have a few questions though. Will i get enough experience in the Navy to get a high paying job as a civilian? Will I have enough exp. for travel nursing?

Can anyone share some stories with me about what to expect as a Navy nurse.

I think it sounds exciting, I guess the first few years
    Hello. This is my first time on this website. I am pretty impressed.
    I am on here to ask anyone on specific specialties in Navy Nursing.
    Which is field or specialty is in high demand in Navy Nursing?
    -anesthesia
    -surgery
    -critical care
    -general
    -cardiac
    etc.
    If I have left any out, please let me know. I am aware that the needs of the navy change and the forcasting maybe hard to tell.

A little about myself, I am not an RN yet. I have a long way to go. I am certified firefighter currently in EMT school. I will go into Paramedic school. Then, on my own time I apply for a transitional nursing program to get a ASN. Finally, apply for a nursing program to earn a BSN. I am aware that is the degree requirement for the Navy Nurse Corps. I already have Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field.
    I am not looking to join the Active Duty Navy but the Reserves so I can do both the Firefighting and nursing (civilian and military).
    Thanks

too many different kinds of questions for me to try to answer at one time so just let me say for what it is worth that Navy Nursing is GREAT!....You have many specialities to choose from includinng Psych and it certainly does lend itself to the civilian world when you retire or decide to get out.....floating on ships.....not a big chance unless you want to......mostly aircraft carriers.......smaller ships have medical personnel but not so much RN's......mostly corpmen.....Go Navy

DRman76,

Sounds like you have quite the plan layed out there. Since you already have a B.A. you may be able to enter an accelerated BSN program. Where I go to school the accelerated program is 1 1/2 yrs while the basic program is 2 1/2 yrs. Accelerated programs require you meet certain prerequisite course which you could take anywhere. Research some of the options in your area, a school may offer an accelerated program. Just another option for you.

Later

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    Hi Tom_B I suppose H2OHead is pretty much long gone from this board.
    Yep, H2Ohead posted over at the military.com boards for awhile. He actually did go active USAF as a nurse. He contributed regularly for awhile and then some time after his first duty station, he flipped out in those forums and was banned. Haven't heard from him since.

Too bad - he must have gotten a really bad assignment because he was extremely negative on the whole prospect. If I remember correctly, he was prior enlisted Army... Seems like it was right around the time we began fighting in Iraq.

Hello all, first, thank you for serving your country.
    I inquired about the Navy Nurse program on military.com and didn't get the response I wanted. I'm an RN with BSN and also have my CNOR. I'm only 30 but did six years at a major trauma center in Houston...all of it in the OR. Now in the suburbs but have always been interested in the military option. Started my career in 2000. Even did a stint as a travel nurse. I do miss trauma and where I trained we were required to do all specialties, scrub and circulate.
    The contact in the Navy forum stated that I would probably have to do a general orientation and quite possibly do med surg until an opening in the OR became available. I had a hard time comprehending this because as stated above, I've been doing this for nearly 8 years and have my certification.
    I know the military is different than civilian land. I was in Army ROTC my first year of college and got injured. The program folded in what would have been my junior year. Luckily, I never committed to a contract or would have had to move to a different school.
    Long story short, is the Army like the Navy and would it require me to be a generalist again...I really respect the med surg, icu, critical care nurses but the OR is my passion. I would love an opinion of another Navy nurse as well as any Army or Air Force nurses for that matter.
    Would definitely have to get back in shape again but this is just to see if this would be feasible for me at this time.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

I posted this on a different forum, but since no one answered I'll give it a try here.

I'm a Navy vet (been out for about five and a half years now). I've been thinking about going the reserve route to help pay for school and also help the men and women fighting. From what I've been told you must have a BSN get a commission. Does anyone know if this is true or not? My situation would be getting a ADN (I'm currently done with a semester and a half) and have to bachelor degrees (one in healthcare administration). Thanks. Rick

Quote Originally Posted by OldSquidNewNurse View Post
    I posted this on a different forum, but since no one answered I'll give it a try here.

I'm a Navy vet (been out for about five and a half years now). I've been thinking about going the reserve route to help pay for school and also help the men and women fighting. From what I've been told you must have a BSN get a commission. Does anyone know if this is true or not? My situation would be getting a ADN (I'm currently done with a semester and a half) and have to bachelor degrees (one in healthcare administration). Thanks. Rick
    Hello,
    I think that the only branch which will accept an ADN RN is the Army Rerserves. However, if you are bridging to the BS/BA then you'd be good for Active Duty or the AF or Navy.
    Gen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123