Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military Nursing

Military Nursing

I am an RN and have ten years of prior military experience (enlisted). I am seriously considering going back into the military as a nurse. If you are a military nurse, active duty or very recently retired, let me know. I'm looking for info on what a duty day is like, what shift work is like, how many days a week is a duty week, what is staffing like, is the equipment from the stone ages, etc etc.

My interest is really in the Air Force since i could apply my critical care focus in flight nursing at some point. I'd like to hear from anyone with knowledge of the military nurse world, though.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,

Mac [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Military Nursing

Hi. I was prior enlisted (4 years Active Duty/Army) and have received my BSN. I also looked into the Air Force for nursing. I definitely recommend getting in touch with an Air Force recruiter. In 4 years, you could be a Captain making $60,000/year, or more since you are prior enlisted. They have loan repayment for school loans. You can choose where you want to get stationed. After talking with my recruiter and getting information sent to me, I would recommend it. I have 2 children and a husband and that is what is keeping me from doing it. I don't know much about their work days, schedules, equipment, or so on, but it would be such a great way to get into flight nursing. Good luck.

keep in mind however you will not have the freedoms you have as a civilian nurse. i was a captain in the air force, and every time i felt unwell, i had to dress up in my uniform, drive to a clinic or have a friend drive me, wait to see a doctor who turned around and told me i was unwell i should be at home resting. i'm 34, i am not a child. i know when i don't feel well. today, as a civilian, i pick up the phone and say "I won't be in today" no questions asked. I also make up my own schedule, something you can't do as military personnel. i can tell my boss to take this job and shove... well you know what i mean and not worry about prison or a court martial. Just because you want to go to flight school doesn't mean the military wants you to go to flight school or if they do, they decide when. i guess i'm playing devil's advocate but these are serious things you want ot consider before signing over controll of your life again, believe me, not all the officers have as good as the pilots.

Hi folks,
    I was USAF enlisted right after high school, then got out & went to college on my GI bill & got my BSN. Then I took a commission in the Army Nurse Corps & made Captain in 3 years so I've seen a bit of both the USAF & Army. I've been a med evac nurse (UH-60's), taught nursing, been in charge of a 150 patient a day ER at Ft Polk, been a DON, worked NICU, ICU, and 12 years ER. I've worked military ER and worked at a civilian level 1 trauma center & teaching hospital's ER and in my humble opinion one has WAY more freedom as a military RN than civilian RN's will ever dream of!

I never had to "go in to sick call" as an Army nurse- of course being in the position I was in in the ER I had a great relationship with the docs on the team , but all the same, all I had to do was let someone know I was sick and stay home.

Where else will someone let you see & treat patients pretty independantly (unless you're a practitioner?), will you ever write your own orders as a civilian nurse? Get to suture up patients yourself as a civilian? Have the opportunity for extremely interesting advanced courses and advanced degrees at your employers complete expense? Get career advancement opportunities like the military can offer? Get pro pay incentives in addition to base pay & benefits? Get to retire with outstanding pay once you have 20 years? Not as a civilian for sure!

Be glad to address any questions you may have.

i'm a graduate in the Philippines and would like to be a military nurse.what are the requirements?

Depends on where you are applying. Are you going to apply in the Phillipines, or are you coming to the United States?

If you're coming to the US, you'll need to get officially licensed here, and be legal to work first.

You can learn more about Air Force Nursing here:

Air Force Nursing Specialties:"The Air Force Nurse Corps offers a variety of specialties from Anesthesia to Pediatrics. You may enter with specialized experience or you may get experience after joining our health care team. Each program offers you an opportunity for certification or an advanced degree."
    http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/ofcr...lder/ch6-5.htm

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Do you think that the desire to get out of the military and become a civilian RN pretty strong? Or do most RNs appreciate the military and decide to continue their careers with the military?

I'm currently an Active Duty Army Nurse Corps Officer (CPT/O-3/7yrs 66-H M5) working as a staff RN at Ft. Hood's ER. What rn02861 and medi stated are correct. My suggestion is to look at your proffesional and personal goals in life before making decisions about joining. Also I would suggest stopping by the nearest Active Military Hospital. Request to make an appt.to briefly speak to the Chief Nurse or Assistant Chief Nurse of the hospital. They will be able to give you somewhat of a run down about the nurse corps to an extent. I would then stop by which ever area you would like to work and speak with one of the active duty staff nurses to get their perspective as well. Also check out the Service's Nurse Corps personnel website. Speak to the branch manager of the area you would like to work in and ask about opportunities. Once you get these individuals perspectives and do all your reading, then go to the branch recruiter armed with knowledge so you do not get misinformation or half truth. I can tell you as a staff nurse having worked med/surg and ER, day to day work is similar to other RNs. The Military Nurse Corps are geared to get their officers into Administration/Management very soon, even as a O-2, 1st Lieutenant. They will expect you to lead others and set an example to other soldiers. A few requirements are noted for Active Duty Nurse Corps Officers. #1 You must have a BSN from an accreditedNursing School. #2 You must be a US Citizen #3 You must meet height/weight and basic physical standards. #4 There are age limits. Active Reservists may gain their commision with an ADN degree.

The military can offer a lot of opportunity but it won't come easy. You will have experiences and make friends for the rest of your life. Be prepared to deploy and be separated from your family for possibly a year.

One more thing. The Military does offer a lot of unique positions and jobs such as Flight Nursing, Brigade/Division Nurse as a medic educator, Recruiting, ROTC advisor, Forward Surgical Teams, Command Opportunities etc. Check out the web sites.

The Navy Nurse Corps is fantastic. I was prior enlisted then went back into the Navy. Left the service at a Lt. Commander (Major).
    I think you will love it. The best of luck to you. I am always honored to find someone who wishes to serve his/her country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast