Thread: About to graduate!! Jobs-abroad?

About to graduate!! Jobs-abroad?

HI all!!
    I'm finally in the home stretch!! I will graduate this Aug 2005 and I was just wondering if anyone else out there has been looking for jobs abroad?? I really want to work overseas but have not been too successful finding help getting there--if anyone has info/ help I would greatly appreciate it!! Good luck to all and study hard!!
    Melissa

Re: About to graduate!! Jobs-abroad?

I am a student with the same interests....let me know if you have any luck and I will do the same...cool?

Sincerely

Jason

Just to give a warning first-I'm not a nursing student yet, but I have experience in the health field. I'd suggest checking with Doctors Without Borders (mostly volunteer, but some paid), and the International Committees of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. The WHO might also be a resource, as well as American aid agencies such as USAID and UNICEF. The CDC employees nurses in some overseas positions, or holds them in domestic positions until they are needed in a crisis. Also, an avenue of "international experience" that is often overlooked is working with Native people here in the US (included the more exotic locales of Alaska and Hawaii). They are truly underserved populations, the conditions on many reservations are similar to or worse than those found in developing countries, and the culture is completely different from mainstream America.

Hello Melissa,

Right now the nursing shortage is world-wide meaning you can work in Australia, Great Britain, Saudi Arabia, and literally any other country in the world.

The important thing, is to have established skills and experience before you go. Most places that will hire you abroad will require experience.

Working in a foreign country will be very different from working in the USA. It would behoove you to spend 1-3 years in an American hospital, preferably in acute/critical care areas before you start traveling.

What you could do, is work a few years in a hospital, then take a few travel assignments around the USA to get a feel for working in different places, environments. If after a couple of assignments you feel confident enough to go abroad, there will be plenty of opportunities.

Wish you luck, glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/nclex