Thread: Nurses in recovery

Smile Nurses in recovery

Just want to say it's nice to see so many other nurses in recovery and/or trying to recover from ETOH or drugs. Having 21 years continuous sobriety in AA, I started diverting drugs - because I got away from AA and forgot that I had/have a serious problem with addiction. I'm currently working with the MAss. BON substance abuse recovery program and wonder if there's anyone else out there doing the same in Massachusetts. It seems to be a very strict program, 5 years of continuous monitoring with 1 year of license suspension, but I'm trying to look at it as just another way of being helped. I'd be interested in talking to other nurses in Mass. to see if and what obstactles they've encountered working with the BON. I'm finding it a very SLOW process. Thanks to everyone for sharing on this forum; it's really helpful.

Wink Re: Nurses in recovery

Hi I'm also from Mass. and diverted drugs I am awaiting admittance into the SARPS program, what I the BON program, how long have you been in the program, I am also looking for a support group for nurses in Massachusetts where do you live in Ma. Good Luck.

Re: Nurses in recovery

I know nothing about the Mass. BON, but I am currently in the nevada diversion program. Once you talk to the BON, they should give you all the info you need to complete the requirements. I am now in Intensive outpatient treatment, and have to go to 90 AA/NA meetings in 90 days, plus I ahve to attend a nurse support group meeting once a week. The program is very intense,overwhelming at first. I have been clean for 20 days now, and my head is starting to clear. Less anxious etc. I too have to be monitored for 5 years. Hopefully I can get my conditional license back in 8 months or so, and then get a non-restricted license back 6 months after that. I diverted Lortab/percocet, and was fired from my job. I did self-report to the BON, which makes things easier. I am trying to rtake it all one day at a time, so I don't get overwhelmed. One day I hope to be back at bedside nursing, God only knows what is in store for me. Good Luck