Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on being a Army nurse

need advice about enlistment and the army nurse corps

I just started a BSN program last year. I want to be a member of the army nurse corps in the reserves. I am thinking of enlisting now in the reserves as an army medic and using the GI bill to pay for school. My question is, once I graduate and pass my exams, how difficult is it to get promoted to officer and join the nurse corps? Should I wait until after I graduate? I need the money now, but don't want to be stuck in my medic mos three years from now when I graduate. I want to be able to advance.

Re: need advice about enlistment and the army nurse corps

Quote Originally Posted by maureen82 View Post
    I just started a BSN program last year. I want to be a member of the army nurse corps in the reserves. I am thinking of enlisting now in the reserves as an army medic and using the GI bill to pay for school. My question is, once I graduate and pass my exams, how difficult is it to get promoted to officer and join the nurse corps? Should I wait until after I graduate? I need the money now, but don't want to be stuck in my medic mos three years from now when I graduate. I want to be able to advance.
    link to previous reply
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Talking Knowledge deficit r/t no prior experience with ANC.

Hello everyone!!!
    I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
    Quick BIO - Im prior service Ohio Guard Combat Engineer, deployed to beautiful baghdad in 2005 and made it home safe and sound to finally finish school. I'm currently in my junior year of my nursing program and have to say I'm happy with my decision, I love nursing. Anyway, I decided to re-up but as an active duty nurse. Currently, I'm working as a Clinical Assistant at a Trauma Level 1 hospital in the SICU and I absolutely love it.

My question is what should I expect?? As a nurse and as an officer. What's training like? What should I expect for a first duty station? Do I get any choices as far as the type of nursing (Critical Care, Psych, ED, Peds), or does the Army decide for me? What kind of hours are you expected to work when not deployed?

Any all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick
    :banana:

Re: Knowledge deficit r/t no prior experience with ANC.

Quote Originally Posted by njohnso4 View Post
    Hello everyone!!!
    I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
    Quick BIO - Im prior service Ohio Guard Combat Engineer, deployed to beautiful baghdad in 2005 and made it home safe and sound to finally finish school. I'm currently in my junior year of my nursing program and have to say I'm happy with my decision, I love nursing. Anyway, I decided to re-up but as an active duty nurse. Currently, I'm working as a Clinical Assistant at a Trauma Level 1 hospital in the SICU and I absolutely love it.

My question is what should I expect?? As a nurse and as an officer. What's training like? What should I expect for a first duty station? Do I get any choices as far as the type of nursing (Critical Care, Psych, ED, Peds), or does the Army decide for me? What kind of hours are you expected to work when not deployed?

Any all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick
    :banana:
    Send me an email; cary.barrett@us.army.mil

I'll answer your questions.

Re: Knowledge deficit r/t no prior experience with ANC.

Thanks CPT

Just talked with Army Nurse Recruiter

Hello everyone,
    I just talked with a Army nurse recruiter and was hoping for some advice on his advice. To put it into perspective, a little about my situation first:
    Male, 47, graduating with ADN on May 1st, 2009. I have 7 years prior enlisted service in the Army. Goal: CRNA and retire AD.
    His recommendation was for me to go Reserves and start the app process NOW d/t my age (only prior commissioned time counts for the age factor) After I finish my BSN then it would be easier to go active. He also said I have a choice of 2 of 3 incentives:
    1. Monetary ($30k dispersed over 3 years)
    2. LRP (up to $50k payable after I finish BSN)
    3. STRAP ($1900.00/mo. Stipend while going to school)
    He recommended 2 and 3. He stated that I would be commissioned, but would not go to drill during school.
    Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Gruffy

Exclamation Re: Just talked with Army Nurse Recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffy View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I just talked with a Army nurse recruiter and was hoping for some advice on his advice. To put it into perspective, a little about my situation first:
    Male, 47, graduating with ADN on May 1st, 2009. I have 7 years prior enlisted service in the Army. Goal: CRNA and retire AD.
    His recommendation was for me to go Reserves and start the app process NOW d/t my age (only prior commissioned time counts for the age factor) After I finish my BSN then it would be easier to go active. He also said I have a choice of 2 of 3 incentives:
    1. Monetary ($30k dispersed over 3 years)
    2. LRP (up to $50k payable after I finish BSN)
    3. STRAP ($1900.00/mo. Stipend while going to school)
    He recommended 2 and 3. He stated that I would be commissioned, but would not go to drill during school.
    Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Gruffy
    Thought I answered your questions via email?

I'm concerned about what you stated, "only prior commissioned time counts for the age factor". It is a fact...if, you have 7 years prior enlisted active duty military service in the Army, then those years count in your favor. At least, it did for me! I'm pretty sure I explained such in my email reply to you? So, I would clarify again with your recruiter because he is either lying, or they changed the policy since my commission in 2003.

BTW, you can only go into the Active Component [active duty] with a BSN in the Army Nurse Corps. So, your statement about it being easier is not valid because it is the only way. "After I finish my BSN then it would be easier to go active." You can in fact apply for commission into the Reserve Component Army Nurse Corps. However, you cannot do so w/o an ADN unless of course you sign under contract while going to school.

Regards to LRP & STRAP I cannot comment because I have no experience with either.

*Make sure this is an AMEDD recruiter and not a regular recruiter.

Re: Just talked with Army Nurse Recruiter

Capt.,

You did answer my questions and am very greatful for all your time and effort. Listening to everyone's response to questions provides slightly different answers and pretty much everyone says, "To be certain, check with the recruiter". That's what I did and those were the answers I received from him, Capt. Brunnel (not sure of correct name spelling) (Seattle MEPS) AD Nurse recruiter.

So, I was fielding this response to the forum for just the reason you respond. To seek discrepancies. The recruiter told me because of my age it would be "easier" to get in RC now and then apply for AD. He specifically said "enlisted prior service time did not count for commissioning (and age waiver), but did count for pay.

The STRAP is when an ADN signs into the reserves, get's a commission and is paid a stipend while completing the BSN. Afterwards an application can be submitted for LRP (Loan Repayment Program). This would be in the intitial contract.

My question about "easier" had to do with getting the BSN with exp and being more desireable than entry level ADN and the reserve route. He also mentioned that times are always changing and if I wait 2 years for the BSN, my age might prevent me from getting in at all.

I that's what the man told me. That's why I wanted to float it to the forum and get feedback.

Again, thanks for all your help and I welcome any future advice. After all the talking is done, I can only go and make the best decision I can with the info I have. And then live with it.

Thanks,
    Gruffy

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffy View Post
    Capt.,

You did answer my questions and am very greatful for all your time and effort. Listening to everyone's response to questions provides slightly different answers and pretty much everyone says, "To be certain, check with the recruiter". That's what I did and those were the answers I received from him, Capt. Brunnel (not sure of correct name spelling) (Seattle MEPS) AD Nurse recruiter.

So, I was fielding this response to the forum for just the reason you respond. To seek discrepancies. The recruiter told me because of my age it would be "easier" to get in RC now and then apply for AD. He specifically said "enlisted prior service time did not count for commissioning (and age waiver), but did count for pay.

The STRAP is when an ADN signs into the reserves, get's a commission and is paid a stipend while completing the BSN. Afterwards an application can be submitted for LRP (Loan Repayment Program). This would be in the intitial contract.

My question about "easier" had to do with getting the BSN with exp and being more desireable than entry level ADN and the reserve route. He also mentioned that times are always changing and if I wait 2 years for the BSN, my age might prevent me from getting in at all.

I that's what the man told me. That's why I wanted to float it to the forum and get feedback.

Again, thanks for all your help and I welcome any future advice. After all the talking is done, I can only go and make the best decision I can with the info I have. And then live with it.

Thanks,
    Gruffy
    I know of other ANC officers, with no prior service, past 46 years old, that were granted age waivers.

I'm familiar with both LRP & STRAP. However, since I did neither I can't speak of same with experience. Yet, I don't need it explained to me, LOL.

I can speak with experience regards to my prior military service & age credit that I received. However, I never mentioned prior military service can be credit towards commission. I was awarded constructive credit regards to my prior five years of RN experience prior to entry/commission.

I can agree that those with prior active duty service are on a different pay scale, i.e. my pay grade is O3E, which is more than an O3.

Anyway, what do I know?

BTW, for those in the Army we know the correct abbreviation is CPT, not Capt.

LOL! When I was in the Air Force it was Capt. Things always change....and that is definitely one of them!:rolleyes:

BTW, I at least looked at your siggy to see the CPT designation!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast