Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LPN first or go for RN?

Re: LPN first or go for RN?

I recently quit my job as an LPN after 9 years. I am currently in school taking only a 5 credit Chemistry class which includes lab. I am waiting for a reply from 2 nursing programs for entrance into the LPN-RN mobility fast track program. I decided to go back to school for my RN because every new opportunity I attempted was closed to me because I was not an RN. I am 43 and its tough going back to school but I know it will be worth it when I am finished. Thanks for listening.

I am also an LVN, taking classes to become an RN. Hopefully, this is my last semester for my pre-requisites. I'm supposed to start my LVN-RN transition program in Sept. of this year. I,too, am tired of having little opportunities because of not being a RN already. I am 44, and taking classes again is not easy, but it does get better. Hang in there! and Good Luck!

This question will live through out time. But how can we help but ask and wonder. I too, am asking myself the same thing. How will we know if the path we take will be the best for us as individuals? We dont! So to approach this with intelligience, comman sense and considering time restraints and financial advantage/disadvantage as well as those in our lives at the time, (spouse, children,etc)and let us not forget the all important support system (emotional,physical,spiritually, etc)is the very best we can do. We can't live in fear of making the wrong decision or have guilt b/c we have choosen a level of nursing that does not suit our neighbor. I intend to base my decision on these factors from this point in my life and then proudly live/work my decision, knowing I have choosen the best for me.

I am in the same situation. I am 39, recently divorced and trying to make the right decision about the future. I have pretty much decided to go straight to RN because of the time restraints. Here is my question: Financially, what is the difference between going to LPN and then RN, or going straight to RN? I don't need exact numbers, I just want to know how some of you managed.

[ QUOTE ]
    kellyb said:
    Here is my question: Financially, what is the difference between going to LPN and then RN, or going straight to RN? I don't need exact numbers, I just want to know how some of you managed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty simple. Here in the North East, a new graduate LPN can make $30-40,000 per year.

A new graduate registered nurse, can make $50-60,000 per year.

For every year you are an LPN, you're costing yourself up to $20,000 that you could be making.

Multiply that times the first five years that you're out of school and the Registered Nurse can potentially make $100,000 more in that first five years.

It will cost a little more to go for your RN in the first place and you'll spend a little more time in school but it saves you the hassle of going back to school later.

When all is said and done though, you do much better having the RN in the first place.

That's without going into the many career options that are available to RNs vs what's out there for LPNs.

Let's face it, nursing school is not pleasant, lots of people with the best intentions never get to go back to school. If you're going to go through the hell of nursing school, why do it twice?

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

HELLO:

MY QUESTION IS I HAVE A BACHELORS OF ARTS DEGREE IN PSYCHOLOGY AND CURRENTLY WORKING PART TIME ON MY MASTERS DEGREE. I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO NURSING SCHOOL TO BECOME ONLY A PSYCH NURSE. I AM UNABLE TO AFFORD THE TUTITION FOR THE BSN PROGRAM NOR THE RN PROGRAM. I FOUND OUT IF I GO TO LPN SCHOOL IT WILL BE QUICKER AND I WILL RECEIVE MY DEGREE IN 16 MONTHS FROM A UNIVERSITY AND NOT THE TECHNICAL SCHOOL.

BY DOING THIS I CAN WORK AS A PSYCH LPN AND ATTEND RN PROGRAM VIA INTERNET ONLINE UNIVERSITY. THIS WILL PAY FOR ME TO ATTEND RN SCHOOL. DO ANYONE THINK THIS IS A PARTICAL WAY OF DOING THINGS?

WILL I BE PAYED MORE THAN THE AVERAGE LPN BECAUSE I HAVE A BACHELORS DEGREE ALREADY?

PLEASE RESOND!!!!

First of all, if you're going to want an RN license eventually, why spend your time/money doing LPN first and going through nursing school twice? Find a hospital or nursing home that will pay your tuition bills and go straight for your RN. Work as a CNA while you're in school to get a feel for the work.

Many nurses fall into the same trap, thinking they'll go back for an RN later. Most never do and end up dissatisfied with what they make as an LPN and aggravated at the lack of career options, mobility.

I wouldn't count on getting an RN via the Internet. Very few of the programs offering these course are legitimate. I'd ask for a list of employers that have hired their graduates before I'd pay a dime in tuition to these places.

I don't think it is practical, sorry. And no, most places will not pay you more as an LPN because you have a bachelors.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Andrew:

Thanks for the advice! I will look in to some work assistance programs. Right now I am unemployed for 1 year because of my Lupus. I am look to start an RN program in the Spring of 2006. Tnanks again for the GOOD ADVICE.

Thank You,

Makisia13

Anytime, wish you luck. . .

Try to apply as soon as you can, waiting lists are getting longer and longer these days.

I would not waste my time becoming a LPN. The money isn't worth it. A diploma or ADN would be a better start. A starting RN whether Diploma, ADN or BSN will start the same in most areas. The change in pay comes from the type of job you are able to apply for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast