Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LPN first or go for RN?

Re: LPN first or go for RN?

I started out as a Nursong Assistant then went to LPN school because the hospital that I worked at used LPN's in the same capacity as RN's ie: charting, meds, assigned a full pt load, etc. I then went back to school for RN (ADN) after about 4 years. I got to skip the first year of the 2 year program because I clepped the programs. Still thinking about my RN-BSN but the hospital I work at now doesn't seem to offer any incentive for higher degree. ADN is the quickest and you get the most practical education, but sometimes even ADN's are looked down on. At least where I'm at. Good luck at whatever you choose. I think we need more nurses that actually want to be nurses and not just looking at the money aspect.

I became an LPN, because I had 3 kids as a single parent. I never went back to school because working full time while going to school you have no time for the kids and they run amuck. My friend went back to school during the day and worked at night, she missed her son's whole childhood. By the time she was finished with school her son was 17 and hooked on drugs. She spent most the money she made on Rehabs and Drug programs and defaulted on her loans. I know she regrets it. LPN's can be trained as OR Scrub nurses and wound nurses. Whatever you do, put your responsability to your children first. Good luck & God Bless!

Hello, I just need alittle advice. I'm a police officer, I've been on the job 10years. When I was 19 I started college attempting to become a nurse which I got discouraged at the time because of counselors giving me the run around about classes and taking classes that didn't transfer. Well anyway, now I'm in college again determined to finish nursing but I was trying to decide if I should finish and go through the surgical tech program, which i'll finish summer '06, because there's a long wait list for the nursing program and I have all my prereqs I just need to take chemistry and pass the entrance exam.

I think that anyone wanting to be a nurse should enter a RN program.

I am a LPN. I always intended to go back to school. My plan was BSN and a Ph.d in Clinical Psychology.

My husband died and I raised my kids on my own. I could have gone back to school, I reckon, but I could not see a way at the time. My kids were two and two months old.

I have worked in rural Family Practice for ten years and I like that. A rural doctors' office can become an ER in a heartbeat. I have done a lot of things that I would never have done in a hospital or, God knows, long term care.

If I could be a RN tomorrow, I would work in an ER. Only thing I could tolerate. In the rural area where I live, I could probably do that as a LPN. You can learn a lot in rural areas.

I opted for LPN because the National Guard paid for it back in the eighties. Given a choice, I would have chosen RN because RN has many more opportunities for employment.

I loathe long term care. I have done it and I hate it.

I agree with the person who said that ding dongs are ding dongs. I have worked with RNs and LPNs and BSNs whom I have respected and I have worked with ding dongs. I have worked with ding dong doctors, too.

Go to school to be a RN. Much more opportunity. No questioning of your expertise. LPNs -- no matter what -- are considered inferior.

That may not be fair or warranted but that is the way it is.

Faizi

Here in Texas, LVN's are paid $14-16 a hr. in hospitals, LTC $17-$19 a hr. Home Health is the best paid, $20-$28 a hr. In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

If you have a family/children, they should come first. They need your attention, but they also need you to provide for them. And nursing is an excellent career for someone with a family because you can work any schedule around their needs. True, education = earning potential = less time at work for more money. And as far as respect, it goes: MSN, BSN, RN, LPN, anywhere you work, but WHO CARES? Sacrifice family for education/career? No! It's a balance. Do what's best for everyone at home. If you can figure a way to do it -- such as downsize, decrease your living expenses, whatever, do it. Working a job while you attend school is difficult. Do what you can with the situation you've got. Go to LPN school if you can only do 14 months. You'll still make a decent living and be able to take care of your family. If you don't have a family, or have a husband who can support you, and can swing 3 years for your RN (ASN), or 4 for your BSN, do it! Heck, go for your Masters! But take care of home first. That goes for all you nurses who are taking all that tempting overtime.

LPN's are NOT the same as RN's. LPN's in my RN program struggle with the critical thinking element of the program because they are trained to do tasks under the supervision of an RN. Anybody else agree??

I've been an LPN for 10 years now. I was initially in a RN program. I agree with most of the people who have posted. If I had to do it all over again, I definately would have finished to be an RN. As a Lpn in Kansas, I worked many different aspects, including 5 yrs at a hosp floating to all the different departments & had a lot of responsibility. I moved to California last year after getting divorced & it is horrible how they treat LVN's here & is difficult to find jobs that aren't glorified Med Aide positions. Again--we are ALWAYS considered lower class even if your IQ is higher than the RN that you're supposed to be reporting to. As far as critical thinking, I guess I am an exception in so far as NOT thinking that I am inferior, not feeling like I had to report to an RN necessarily. I learned how to take care of most situations on my own. I learned many aspects of the RN role & had RN 's coming to me for answers lots of times. NOT saying I am incredi nurse by any means..FAAAR from it!....however, I believe it's like one nurse wrote: some are ding dongs & always will be. It's all what you put into your practice that counts.

I have 2 kids-got pregnant my first semester back into school...but knowing what I know now..i should've 'bit the bullet' for that ONE final year!

[ QUOTE ]
    spongebathbob said:
    LPN's in my RN program struggle with the critical thinking element of the program because they are trained to do tasks under the supervision of an RN. Anybody else agree??

[/ QUOTE ]

I TOTALLY DISAGREE.

How can you stereotype an LPN as having difficulty with Critical Thinking because they are an LPN, regardless of their training?

I know a TON of RN's who also have difficulty performing menial nursing tasks. I often have wondered how some of them ever made it out of school. I certainly would not categorize all RN's as having this same problem because some do.

The ability to think critically is not derived from a year or two of school.

If one entered nursing school of ANY kind, without this ability, it would be very hard for that person to be successful in that program. They certainly aren't going to gain the ability to think critically in nursing school if they don't already posses it.

I have to agree with Shortbus. We have some LPN's that have great problem solving skills and work well with the "PROCESS" of nursing, not just the task of nursing. I also know a few LPN's that would work well in leadership positions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234