Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Dog, New Tricks

Old Dog, New Tricks

First let me say the only reason I am posting is to (maybe) inspire someone else same as someone inspired me. Not to brag because I am nobody special. Maybe If someone else sees that I did it then they can too. That's why I am here now.

After 25+ years as a diesel mechanic/shop foreman/general manager I decided to do something different with my life and become a nurse. My lovely wife says I had a midlife crisis. I had a good friend killed in an accident suddenly and it got me to thinking about what I want to do with the rest of my life. I wanted my life to mean something and make a difference. I did not do it for the money (although I do have bills to pay) but rather because I wanted to do something more with my life.

I will graduate with a BSN RN in three weeks from now. I still have one more paper to write and 1 more final exam but I think I am home free. I think the NCLEX is do-able. Can't be worse than school and I did that.

I am looking forward to begin learning what nursing is all about because I know graduation is really just the beginning. It has taken me 4 years but I feel like a kid again (52 years young). I even got to live in the dorm 3 nights a week my first 3 years. While I did not fit in with the rest of the kids most everyone was accepting and friendly.

I had to work at it a little harder than most but will graduate with a 3.2 gpa.
    If I can do it most anyone can with a little determination. I look forward to this new journey about to begin.

Congratulations and Welcome

Rob,

Welcome to this rewarding career field. I hope you find it as challenging, exhausting, stimulating and rewarding as so many of us have. Good luck and post often!!!

Congrats & Welcome!

Hello Rob,

Thank you for posting. It is an inspiration, as well as motivating to read your post. You are definitely an asset to the nursing profession and I thank you for joining us... better late than never, LOL. BTW, I did not start college until my mid-30's, so nursing is definitely not my first career, either. Yet, definitely my calling. I just prefer to do such as an Army Soldier Nurse.

... from somewhere over in the Sandbox
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Re: Old Dog, New Tricks

Thanks for your posting. I am about to embark on my studies at the ripe old age of 50. The thought of going back to school at this point in my life is
    somewhat scary. Reading your words has given me encouragement. Good luck

Thank you for the encouraging words. And congratulations on finishing school. I too am starting my second career and like you I am coming from the mechanics field. I start CNA course in 2 weeks and plan on getting my RN-BSN as well. I know I have a long hard road ahead of my but the brass ring at the end is well worth it. Again thank you for the encouragement.

Ricu

Hey guys,

I feel a little left out. You all were mechanics before becoming nurses but I was a respiratory therapist. Can I still be in the club? ;-)
    R

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Ricu, I can't see why not. The way I see it, you former mechanics will sure know when whether what you 'fixed', works or not.... :rolleyes:

Sorry; had to stick my 2 cents in here. Good luck, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Hey guys,

I feel a little left out. You all were mechanics before becoming nurses but I was a respiratory therapist. Can I still be in the club? ;-)
    R
    If, you mean Male Nurse Forum club... of course your in.

Are you now an ICU nurse? You should be great with vent patients.

BTW, before & during nursing school I was a Certified Surigical Technologist [scrub tech]. Before CST, I was an aircraft electrician & com/nav tech in the USMC, 1980-1988.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Ricu, I can't see why not. The way I see it, you former mechanics will sure know when whether what you 'fixed', works or not.... :rolleyes:

Sorry; had to stick my 2 cents in here. Good luck, guys!
    Hey, who let the cat in the clubhouse, LOL.

Ricu

Hey again,

Just a little bit of forum humor that's all, and yes, I do work in the ICU. As for as the cat in the clubhouse, I'm not sure but she does get around...

R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast