Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paramedic Transition to RN vs. Accelerated 2nd degree BSN

Paramedic Transition to RN vs. Accelerated 2nd degree BSN

Which is better?
    I have bachelor's degree aready. I have a BS in Communications. I have none of the prereqs to get admitted in a RN program.

I am 4 weeks away from finishing EMT. Already graduated from a fire training academy. Once hired on somewhere, I will go to paramedic school.
    It is after paramedic school I will go into a Nursing program.
    I know the paramedic transitional RN program will yield a ASN degree.
    Does anyone know if the Accelerated 2nd degree BSN will shorter than the paramedic transitional RN program? Want this to work where I don't have to take time off from working to get either degrees.

Thanks.

Re: Paramedic Transition to RN vs. Accelerated 2nd degree BSN

Quote Originally Posted by DRman76 View Post
    Which is better?
    I have bachelor's degree aready. I have a BS in Communications. I have none of the prereqs to get admitted in a RN program.

I am 4 weeks away from finishing EMT. Already graduated from a fire training academy. Once hired on somewhere, I will go to paramedic school.
    Does anyone know if the Accelerated 2nd degree BSN will shorter than the paramedic transitional RN program? Want this to work where I don't have to take time off from working to get either degrees.

Thanks.
    I'd suggest you contact the instuitions you are interested in. I bet they could tell you how long their programs are.

Onetraveler
    I appreciate you for taking the time out to respond to my thread.
    I've already started "rolling that ball". As of now, I am waiting for a return phone call from an undergraduate Nursing program coordinator from the University of Central Florida.

I may have failed to be more clear on my thread, requesting anyone (current Nursing students or RNs) that can give an opinion.

Hopefully I will hear from the UCF rep soon.

Onetraveler
    I appreciate you for taking the time out to respond to my thread.
    I've already started "rolling that ball". As of now, I am waiting for a return phone call from an undergraduate Nursing program coordinator from the University of Central Florida.

I may have failed to be more clear on my thread, requesting anyone (current Nursing students or RNs) that can give an opinion.

Hopefully I will hear from the UCF rep soon.
    So far the only opinion you've gotten is to check with the institutions near you. :houra: :houra:

There are so many ways to get an RN today that most nurses don't even know about all of them.

Heck we only now know that you are in Central FLA. Maybe you should post on the FLA board. You might find more responses.

I can say that's it's probably gonna be 3-4 years before you get into a program and by that time the programs will have changed from the way they are today.

Can I ask why you are shoving a paramedic course into this. Why not just go to RN school?? I guess I don't see the logic in that step?

Quote Originally Posted by onetraveler View Post
    So far the only opinion you've gotten is to check with the institutions near you. :houra: :houra:

There are so many ways to get an RN today that most nurses don't even know about all of them.

Heck we only now know that you are in Central FLA. Maybe you should post on the FLA board. You might find more responses.

I can say that's it's probably gonna be 3-4 years before you get into a program and by that time the programs will have changed from the way they are today.

Can I ask why you are shoving a paramedic course into this. Why not just go to RN school?? I guess I don't see the logic in that step?
    As an example. I was supposed to graduate with my BSN in May of 1997. Some of us wanted to take courses that summer of 1996 and graduate in December 1996. So we went to the Dean. She said if we could get instructors for the summer and at least 20 students who wanted to graduate December 1996 then go for it. The instructors offered to teach that summer, we had 20 students so we went for it. And graduated in Dec 1996. Some schools might be that fluid some might not be.

Nursing education in this country is severely lacking in many areas of the country. Look at Miami.

Wink Re: Paramedic Transition to RN vs. Accelerated 2nd degree BSN

DRman --

When I first applied to nursing school out of highschool - I was told that there would be a 4 year wait to start the program @ a local community college - WHAT? 4 years? No way - I was alredy an EMT-Basic - so I did some research, found out about the paramedic to RN bridge program - best of all, BOTH paramedic school and the transition RN program didn't have any wait lists so I was accepted right away to both.

The transition program took 14 months to complete full time. Over the last 2 years or so while I've been finishing up my ADN, I have been checking into 4 year colleges trying to find a program for RN to BSN. A lot of schools will offer an accelerated BSN if u already have a Bachelors in another area -- however it's still a 2-3 year program full time - in addition to the pre-requisite and co-requisite courses... BUT you will come out of it with a BSN

Looking back now I am thrilled I did it this way. I have ended up in Emergency Nursing - which is alot easier because of the medic background. Nursing school was more of a game than a learning experience.

Good luck in whatever you choose -- let us know!

~Lisa

Which is better?

Thanks.
    I'm in an accelerated BSN program (not in Florida though) and it's a 12-month program. However, it took me a year and a half to finish the prerequisite classes, so altogether it'll have been 2 1/2 years of nursing and nursing-related classes by the time I'm done. You may be able to do it in a shorter amount of time, depending on how many of the prereqs you already have.

When looking into schools, I would also check to see when the program starts. Some ADN schools will randomly place you into their fall or spring classes, which can delay you a semester in terms of start date.

Polk County has a FIRE/EMS shift friendly Medic to ASN program. Ill hopefully be starting there in may 08. after pre reqs. i kno of no other program in area that will allow for a FD 24 on 48 off schedule.

peace out,

brett
    brett

ER RN

ambulance driver

"when it matters most"

Why not go the online Paramedic to RN degree route?
    Hoping to make a difference, one student at a time... Online Nursing Programs, Online Nursing Schools, and Nursing Career Blog

Question Re: Paramedic Transition to RN vs. Accelerated 2nd degree BSN

DRman76 last activity was 04-27-2007. I would be interested to know the RN school path he chose and the outcome.

Oh well, may never know?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast