Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Apologize for Being an LPN?

Re: Why Apologize for Being an LPN?

Well first of all I think that if you are happy then you should stay right where you are! However, the hospital that I come from is the biggest hospital in about a 2-3 hour radius of where I live and is currently "fading out" LPN's. I am a recent LPN (just passed boards friday morning) and begin my new position tonight. On this floor they are more than willing, still, to hire LPN's however, are more interested in the ones who will be finishing an RN program because they are aware that the hospital as a whole is fading them out. So... for people at my hospital its still an option or they could go elsewhere to one of the smaller hospitals. Also i just finished LPN school like I said and we get 2 weeks off before beginning our RN year... so not enough time to get out of things, otherwise i believe there would be a lot more of us who do not continue on.

I definately dont think that you should apoligize to anyone for not going to RN school. Its a personal decision, and the bottom line is that you are the one responsible for peoples lives, so you should be comfortable in what you do!

I concur.

Quote: "I definately dont think that you should apoligize to anyone for not going to RN school." Quote:
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

"Nobody can make you a nurse... you just are."
    I like that
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

I love being an LPN! I have been one since 1968, and still love to go to work. I too am asked why I didn't go back to school for MY RN. I just didn't want to. Most of my years have been spent in Labor and Delivery. I love the miracle of birth, the challenges of labor, scrubbing for C/Sections. I took a year away from a regular job and took travel assignments. I am working part-time for an agency giving flu shots around the state. It has never been boring. Franny

That's one of the reasons I love nursing. There's a place for everyone - whether you want to spend a short amount of time in school or a lifetime. Whether you want to work 4-8 hours a week or be one of those juggling two full-time jobs. Bedside care or desk. From critical care to palliative care.

IMHO, nobody needs to aplogize for being an LPN. Thank god for LPNs, CNAs, RNs, and everybody else in healthcare - we all have a place to make a difference.

BlueSkies

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkiesAhead View Post
    That's one of the reasons I love nursing. There's a place for everyone - whether you want to spend a short amount of time in school or a lifetime. Whether you want to work 4-8 hours a week or be one of those juggling two full-time jobs. Bedside care or desk. From critical care to palliative care.

IMHO, nobody needs to aplogize for being an LPN. Thank god for LPNs, CNAs, RNs, and everybody else in healthcare - we all have a place to make a difference.

BlueSkies
    Nicely put. Thank you!

'Cat'

I HEAR YA!!! I am so glad I am not the only one that feels this way!!
    I graduated from LPN school in Aug. of 2006.

So for almost 2 years I have felt incompetent. Patients families always ask to speak to the "RN", or they say, "are you a nurse, or an LPN"...that is my favorite~ Jaw dropping isn't it! I even had one coworker say, "being an LPN is like saying sh$# or get off the pot when it comes to being a nurse- you can't do anything with it!" Keeping in mind that the person whom told me that was an LPN first, then an RN. I am also tired of being called a med-tech!
    There is an EMT that my husband works with, he is always referring to LPN's as: Little Play Nurses...I am sure you have heard that one.... So my husband told him how much his Little Play Nurse brings home, and now refers to the EMT as an ambulance driver!!
    (I know it isn't nice. But for once, the joke goes both ways!)

I don't know what to do. I totally am like you. Do I go back to school to appease everyone else? LPN school stressed me out so bad, I don't know if I want to do that again. ..and not to mention all of the negative things I have heard people say about LPN's, why would I want to be an RN? I don't ever want to be like that.

I do love my CNA friends. They give me respect, and you and I know that is all we asked for. I always say, if people knew what was involved in LPN school, they would never say things like that about us, or too us. They have no idea!

Hang in there. It could just be the facility you work at too. Other places I have worked worshiped their LPN's.

Talking Re: Why Apologize for Being an LPN?

Quote Originally Posted by nursefredrick View Post
    I HEAR YA!!! I am so glad I am not the only one that feels this way!!
    I graduated from LPN school in Aug. of 2006.

So for almost 2 years I have felt incompetent. Patients families always ask to speak to the "RN", or they say, "are you a nurse, or an LPN"...that is my favorite~ Jaw dropping isn't it! I even had one coworker say, "being an LPN is like saying sh$# or get off the pot when it comes to being a nurse- you can't do anything with it!" Keeping in mind that the person whom told me that was an LPN first, then an RN. I am also tired of being called a med-tech!
    There is an EMT that my husband works with, he is always referring to LPN's as: Little Play Nurses...I am sure you have heard that one.... So my husband told him how much his Little Play Nurse brings home, and now refers to the EMT as an ambulance driver!!
    (I know it isn't nice. But for once, the joke goes both ways!)

I don't know what to do. I totally am like you. Do I go back to school to appease everyone else? LPN school stressed me out so bad, I don't know if I want to do that again. ..and not to mention all of the negative things I have heard people say about LPN's, why would I want to be an RN? I don't ever want to be like that.

I do love my CNA friends. They give me respect, and you and I know that is all we asked for. I always say, if people knew what was involved in LPN school, they would never say things like that about us, or too us. They have no idea!

Hang in there. It could just be the facility you work at too. Other places I have worked worshiped their LPN's.
    It's so stupid for people to belittle LPNs, but actually RN's get treated like crap too. A lot of patients and their families treat RNs like slaves. I think nurses are disrepected many times because a lot of people still see it as servant role rather than recognizing the education and hard work it takes to become a nurse.

"Are you a nurse, or an LPN?" That's really something...I don't know if I could take that if I were you. I'd have to give someone a piece of my mind. :33:

"Are you a nurse, or an LPN?" That's really something...I don't know if I could take that if I were you. I'd have to give someone a piece of my mind. :33:[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha....yea I was thinking that...

What actually happened was, I stared blankly at this woman in shock like, did she just really say that?????????????? Then I told her, well LPN's go to nursing school, so I guess that makes them nurses? She didn't say anything back. It was odd, I had really liked this patient, but after that I was kind of upset with her, ya know it was always in the back of my mind.

I get really upset with the people that say "LPN = Little Play Nurse, RN = Real Nurse" (sorry I have to hear it a lot considering that the college i attend has an LPN program and an RN program, so we fight LOL) We are ALL nurses, students-LPN-RN-BSN-MSN! We shouldnt be in this field to show off how far we got in school. As long as you are happy as an LPN stay an LPN if you feel you want to go further go further, and as for those ppl that ask "when are you getting your RN?" say "When you decide to mind your own business" (unless its a pt's family, then dont say that LOL)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast