Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Apologize for Being an LPN?

Why Apologize for Being an LPN?

Hello Everyone;

I am new to the boards. I tried to find the right place to post this, and hope that this board is appropriate. I just completed LPN school last year...my job gave me a leave with pay in addition to paying tuition to transition from being a nurse tech to LPN. Long ago, I had made the decision that while I wanted to be a nurse, I would not become an RN because I found that I didn't want the additional responsibility and stress. I admire my RN counterparts because I know you all went through a more difficult program than I did and wish to help out in any way that I can within my scope of practice, but I am TIRED of people asking me when I am going back to school to become an RN. It is if they feel I have not made any accomplishments, am lazy or not bright, nor can positively contribute to patient care.:firedup: :firedup:

I am happy and comfortable doing what I am doing. I have found many opportunities that make me happy to be an LPN...my job had to hire me since they invested in my education, I have a home care case on the side that pays very well and I am a vaccination nurse for the Unites States Army (this is on occasions). I was fortunate enough to obtain a home with no mortgage since my mother died and left me the house, am happily married and have one child. I am doing okay. Part of why I wanted to be a nurse is the ability to mobilize to other places in case I want to change jobs. I did very well in school, but hated the college atmosphere and the process of becoming an LPN so badly that I cannot see myself going into something further and no one seems to understand that.

I have tried to answer nicely, and I do know all of the possible reasons why most go on...money, respect, more job opportunities and such, but it does not attract me any closer to making that decision. I really feel it is unsolicited advice. It is not like I am asking for money, depressed because I have not gone further in school or anything of the sort, but they still continue. Now, I have basically resorted to telling people to mind their business.

I'd like to hear another perspective...why do people think less of LPNs...is there something I am missing? Again, this is not to disrespect any of the people who are outstanding RNs or those that aspire to be one. Thanks for letting me vent!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Why Apologize for Being an LPN?

How long have you been an LPN? I, too, was an LPN for years (17, to be exact). The local RN schools stink (for want of a better word), and I wouldn't refer my worst enemy there. It took alot of teeth grinding, but I often said, 'Oh, I'm quite happy right where I am'. Luckily, I found a school where I did want to go, but that is beside the point.

If you want to be an LPN, it is your choice! I know, you have to keep reminding some people. :frustrated: I just wish you'd come out here and work with me.

'Cat'

hi!
    I was an LPN for 10 years before I became an RN,and a Nursing aid before I was an LPN,and I can tell you that does years helped me to become an RN. LPN's are nurses and they are needed,there is nothing to be ashamed off.For me it was a question of financial issues,I could not undertake two years of part time work while going to school,how little did I know that those ten years of beign an LPN would build up my experience.The facility I work as an LPN allowed us to do wound care ,iv meds etc.don't forget to treat you nursing assistants well.:firedup:

Member Extraordinaire

There is NOTHING wrong with being an LPN. I learned lots from the LPNs I first worked with when I got out of school when it was me and an LPN of 20 years and 15 kids on night shift (peds). I still work with LPNs and I still will ask them things because they've seen and done things that I haven't (we have one who is 70 and won't retire LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    How long have you been an LPN? I, too, was an LPN for years (17, to be exact). The local RN schools stink (for want of a better word), and I wouldn't refer my worst enemy there. It took alot of teeth grinding, but I often said, 'Oh, I'm quite happy right where I am'. Luckily, I found a school where I did want to go, but that is beside the point.

If you want to be an LPN, it is your choice! I know, you have to keep reminding some people. :frustrated: I just wish you'd come out here and work with me.

'Cat'
    I greatly appreciate your comments and support. Where do you work? Maybe I need to get there..LOL!! Oh, and I have been an LPN since June, 2006 (have not been a nurse for long).

I admire LPNs and what they do. If you are happy with being the nurse that you are, then nobody should expect you to change. It took me 2 years to decide whether to go to an LPN shool vs. an RN program. The reason I toyed with the idea of being an LPN so long is because all I really wanted was to be a nurse, aside from being uncomfortable with all the responsibilities that RNs have.

Perhaps it's also about what you are allowed or not allowed to do in your facility. In some places LPNs are limited in their scope despite being well qualified to do things.

Regardless, every member of the team is needed and should be appreciated for what they do. LPNs and CNAs make an RNs life easier and I don't understand why some RNs don't appreciate that.

LPNs are nurses too. I will always remember the 13 years I was an LPN before becoming an RN 3 years ago.

No one can make you feel inferior, or less than a nurse or anything unless you/anyone let them.

If I had not wanted to expand my areas of nursing and if I did not get bored easily, I would have stayed an LPN.

Being and LPN/RN should not determine the person but the person determines what self gradifications being a nurse brings to them and their patients.

Be happy with you and let the nay-sayers do just that, say what they will.
    We can't control others but we can reject their comments and actions by doing what makes us fullfilled and content.

LPNs are nurses too!
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Quote Originally Posted by MICU-RN View Post
    LPNs are nurses too. I will always remember the 13 years I was an LPN before becoming an RN 3 years ago.

No one can make you feel inferior, or less than a nurse or anything unless you/anyone let them.

If I had not wanted to expand my areas of nursing and if I did not get bored easily, I would have stayed an LPN.

Being and LPN/RN should not determine the person but the person determines what self gradifications being a nurse brings to them and their patients.

Be happy with you and let the nay-sayers do just that, say what they will.
    We can't control others but we can reject their comments and actions by doing what makes us fullfilled and content.

LPNs are nurses too!
    I love this post. This person speaks the truth. The only way someone can bring you down is if you let them. There are 2 rules to life.

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    2. It's ALL small stuff.

If you love what you do, and you do your best at it, nobody can ever take that from you. There are so many factors in life we cannot change, yet we get all stressed over them anyway. Why?

Here's my perspective, from a fellow LPN (and a fairly new one at that). I don't come to work to make my co-workers happy. The CNAs who work for/with me are fiercly loyal and hard working because they see me leading by example. I'm not afraid to wipe a butt. This creates a wonderful work environment because it's all about teamwork.

I do, however, come to work to make my patients happy. I honestly believe that if you can take their mind off their pain, even for a minute, and make them smile, show them the sunset, whatever... it's worth it.

I'm going to rob a quote I found, I have no idea who the author is, but I love it.

"Being a nurse isn't about grades. It's about being who we are. No book can teach you how to cry with a patient. No class can tell you how to tell a family that their parents have died, or are dieing. No professor can teach how how to find dignity in giving someone a bed bath.

A nurse is not about the pills, the IVs and the charting. It's about being able to love people when they are at their weakest moments and being able to forgive them for all their wrongs and make a difference in their lives today.

Nobody can make you a nurse... you just are."

I read that every day. I have the Japanese symbol for truth tatood on my forearm as a constant reminder to do the right thing. I strive to make my little corner of the world a better place.

I can't change what people think about LPNs. I can change what people think about me. When they see that I love what I do, and I'm doing the very best I can at it, it inspires. I am a nurse. I am a LPN. I am proud of that.

Great quote. I too was a RPN for 22 years before becoming an RN. I loved being a RPN, felt comfortable in my job, and beleive I was doing a good job at nursing. I now work in the OR, with RN's and RPN's. I so respect the RPN's in the OR, they are the scrub nurses and I rely on them a great deal. It is a matter of respect. Even when I worked on the floor, the RPN's do so much, I couldn't imagine working with out them. It was alot of deliberation before I entered the RN program, and would not have completed it without support from home. Keep the faith, and beleive you are doing something worthwhile, because you are. Keep current in courses offered, and tell others you are happy with things as they are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast