Thread: Don't know where to start

Unhappy Don't know where to start

Well I just came clean to my family this weekend. My addiction is to Vicodin/Norco. I have been battling this addiction for 3 years now on and off. I am still within my 90 day prbation period with my new job. I think that I need rehab and possible detox. My insurance doesnt' kick in until June 1. How do I go about calling in sick to work for this. THe place that I found does not report to employers. PLEASE HELP

Re: Don't know where to start

Good for you for admitting your addiction. I would suggest to first contact your doctor or hospital, and they will most likely put you in touch with a rehab unit that will most likely accept some sort of payment plan. I feel for you...it's really a hard disease. Good luck.

Good for you for admitting to your addiction. It is a very difficult thing to do.
    I found that rehab saved my life. While there are many people who were able to beat their addiction with the help of a 12 step program, I needed a more intensive type of program. While I am primarily an alcoholic, I was taking Vicodin from work along with getting it via prescription. I was reported to my state board of nursing, but had self-reported prior to the complaint being received. I am currently in our state's diversion program.
    There is lots of help out there, you just need to reach out for it.

I'm not sure of the best way to call in sick without telling your employer the situation. I would also call the rehab unit you might go to (that doesn't report) and ask for a suggestion. You get health insurance in 15 days....darn. It is costly to go for rehab but here's how I see it. I would go NOW. Realizing you need help is such a big step that if you don't go now, you might change your mind. At the doses we abuse drugs we are in such danger of over-dosing. Waiting 2 weeks to go to rehab ('cause of insurance) could mean liver damage, kidney damage, wrecking your car and hurting you or someone else, losing your drivers license, hurting a patient, etc........but mostly it could mean death for you. The doses and combination we use drugs could certainly mean death by waiting. Try and get some things in order over the next few hours or a day and I suggest you make the decision to check in to detox. It saved my life. Hugs~Sohpie

I just want to post another reply after reading "Sophie's" reply to you. She's soooo right....the combination of drugs we abuse and the amounts we take in would kill the average person. We're lucky to be alive and I think, insurance or no insurance, rehab is the way to go - payment plans can probably be arranged. Being clean and sober is living; abusing drugs and etoh is dying. Best of luck to you - I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted!

Just to add to my earlier reply, at the doses we take are ARE over-dosing. We just haven't reached the lethal dose yet. Please go for help. Hugs~sohpie