Thread: HELP!! To ER from ICU??

Exclamation HELP!! To ER from ICU??

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and have a question for all who are willing to take the time to answer. I am currently an RN working in an ICU in a hospital about 50 miles from my house. I work the night shift 1900-0700. I am seriously considering resigning for a job in an er close to my house for a shift during the day. The night shift is ruining my life..i am on blood pressure medication at 25 and am tired all the time. I cant focus on school work, etc. I feel as though I would love the er as I love the fast pace quick thinking environments, but am comfortable where I work and with the people I work with and am nervous about the transition. Can anybody give me any advice? It would all be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Jeanine R.

Thumbs up Re: HELP!! To ER from ICU??

Jeanine --
    Congrats on wanting to be an ER nurse. It is truly a fast-paced and exciting change from what you are used to. I have spent the last year in a rural ER outside Tampa, FL. We have no trauma center designation, however, we do have open heart facilities, and we have the only stroke center designation for 2 counties. So we do see our share of medical emergencies. Even there is no trauma center designation, we STILL have 'trauma codes' come in because the weather is so bad that they are unable to be flow to Tampa for care. Is the ER closer to your home any kind of specialty center? If so, you're going to need to go to all sorts of classes and get a bunch of certifications. Within 2 months of being hired here I had my PALS, ENPC, TNCC, ACLS, Triage First curriculum, and NIH Stroke certification. It was A LOT of education above and beyond nursing school.
    I wouldn't trade it for the world!
    Just a few of the downfalls to keep in mind..... unlike 'the unit' we simply can't say "No, we're not ready to take the patient now, give us 30 mins" Our patients come rolling through the doors and thats it - any open bed and they're in it!! Whether we are ready or not! Sometimes our nurseatient ratios are upwards of 1 nurse for 7 patients. It is completely unsafe and we are constantly fighting management about this.
    It's nice having a doctor here for Q&A anytime I need something. Each department has their pros and cons... just because you're an ICU nurse doesn't mean you can't 'float' to the ER for some experience.. talk to your managers

Good Luck!

Lisa

Re: HELP!! To ER from ICU??

Dear Lisa,
    Thank you so much for your input! I am going to lok into taking some of those classes after i start. I am excited for that fast pace, because for some reason i feel as though i work better that way if thats possible. My ER sees 88,000 patients a year and is a level 2 trauma center, however the closest level 1 trauma is miles away so a lot of those patients come to us anyway. I have A LOT to learn although the ICU I work in is cardio thoracic and basically the recovery room for open heart surgery patients so i have learned a lot there as well. I am so glad you enjoy the ER so much..it puts me at ease knowing thats so many people make the transition and love it. What are your hours by the way? Thanks again

Jeanine