Thread: new ICU nurse

new ICU nurse

hey I have been a nurse now for 1yr. I have recently accepted a position in the ICU. I am scared happy escited and nervous all at the same time. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or knows any god references/books?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: new ICU nurse

Quote Originally Posted by sassyNRS106 View Post
    hey I have been a nurse now for 1yr. I have recently accepted a position in the ICU. I am scared happy escited and nervous all at the same time. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or knows any god references/books?

"God" references/books = Bible
    just kidding!

Ask your manager if you can take ECCO (Essentials of Critical Care Orientation). It's an on-line course from the AACN (American Association of Critical Care Nursing). It is an excellent resource.

Your knowledge base should be enhanced by your preceptor in the ICU. Along with that, your manager and your facility should offer you 'library' time during your orientation. 1 hour in the hospital library in the middle of your day can do wonders for your morale, and give you a broader perspective on critical care.

Study critical care principals first, then apply them clinically. New ICU RN's often get lost by attempting to learn, memorize and assimilate each detail taught to them, which is a hopeless way to learn anything. Study the principals of whatever you're learning and you'll be an exceptional critical care RN.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Your knowledge base should be enhanced by your preceptor in the ICU. Along with that, your manager and your facility should offer you 'library' time during your orientation. 1 hour in the hospital library in the middle of your day can do wonders for your morale, and give you a broader perspective on critical care.

Study critical care principals first, then apply them clinically. New ICU RN's often get lost by attempting to learn, memorize and assimilate each detail taught to them, which is a hopeless way to learn anything. Study the principals of whatever you're learning and you'll be an exceptional critical care RN.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would agree with the aformentioned textbooks. The best advice I give new RN's in the Critical Care Arena.
    If you can accept that you will never know enough, than you will be a great ICU RN. The difference between before orientation and after orientation is that you are simply a safer nurse. You still won't know everything, but you'll know who to ask, when to ask it, and why!

Quote Originally Posted by sassyNRS106 View Post
    Knowledge is not the same as wisdom.:39: