Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: People posing as "nurses"

Re: People posing as "nurses"

I made the mistake of putting my stethoscope on my rear view mirror once, the sun pretty much melted it and I had to buy a new one!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Said teacher had made point that if you are a home care nurse in 'certain areas', they just may think you have drugs, etc.

Then again, we don't need to be getting new stethescopes every week, either!

Quote Originally Posted by amberdouglas View Post
    I went to pick my son up from daycare the other day and passed a girl I went to nursing school with in the hallway there. She had flunked out in the first semester (as had about 15% of the class) and she was wearing a teeshirt that says "nurse's rock."
    I was offended by seeing her in it.
    To me, parading around like that is representing yourself as a nurse, be it RN or LPN, and I don't think it's right. Regardless of whether or not she is practicing as a nurse without a license, she (and everyone else who does these things) is purposefully giving the impression to the general public that they are a nurse.
    Why? Because nursing is one of the most respected professional roles. I take serious offense to someone misrepresenting themselves as a nurse because people who do that sully the standard of professionalism that nurse's have achieved.
    I don't see anything wrong with reprimanding someone who calls themselves a nurse without the license to back it up.
    What is the point of wearing a nursing tee-shirt or having a nursing bag? To proclaim yourself as a nurse and therefore worthy of respect.

Just something to think about though, how often do you ever see real nurses carrying around that crap?
    I can appreciate your viewpoint. However, wearing a t-shirt that reads "nurses rock", in of itself is not a misrepresentation. I will agree, that in this case you knew first hand this person most likely never completed, nor passed NCLEX-RN. Yet, someone else could be wearing a similar shirt as a means of showing support for those in the nursing profession. I've seen people wear military memorabilia that may or may not be military veterans. I've learned to view such as military support, rather than being posers. Please, don't misunderstand some have been caught wearing the military uniform but never served.

IMHO, a fine line exist between wearing an item & actually carrying a false professional title. Bottom line, we have to be careful & take nothing for granted.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Ricu

Hi everyone,

There seem to be strong feelings around this issue. Much has been said in these threads about imposter nurses and the perhaps unintentional disregard for how much goes into becoming an RN. As has aleady been stated, this is "just" a discussion board but let me just say that the people who use it and the issues presented on it are much more than that. The art of medicine was built on an honor system and that honorable practice doesn't end when we come home to surf the Net. It is my understanding that anyone is free to post here so there is no reason to be anything but who and what you really are; nurses, student nurses, respiratory therapists, paramedics, EMTs, MDs, PAs, interested persons. Everyone. That said, it is my hope that everyone who posts here will feel welcome and be honest when representing him or herself.

Just in passing, Sierra, your comments may be taken as mockery so, please be careful.

Okay, I'm done now,

R

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345