Thread: Hospital makes me afraid

Hospital makes me afraid

hi everybody

i'm nursing student in College Of Nursing in the national gaurd (Rhiyadh).. i'm taking adult 1 & adult 2 course..

which include goning to the hospital once a week for implementing procedures, making health assesment & taking history.

here is my biggest concern ,, i'm afraid to death to go to the hospital !!!! yea

i know it's a totally different world & it's normal to be afraid at the begining because you gonna used to it.

eventhough i went to hospital when i took health assessment course last semester & the same thing happend, but after 4 weeks gradually i got used to it , i myself couldn't believe what happend

i enterd the ward with self-confiendence, chose my patient , talked to him and did my job then leaved !!

my friends,, do u have any advice ??

did you go through the same problem??

what did you do to got adopt

thank you

God bless you all ,,

Re: Hospital makes me afraid

The more time you spend the the easier it will be. My sister is in her first semester and is just starting clinicals this week. I suggest volunteering in a hospital (yeah, right, who has time for that while in school!) or become buddies with a nurse who appears friendly. Get to know your surroundings fast (like where the supplies are kept, bathrooms, utility rooms, charts). By having a staff nurse on your side it will be easier. You won't be afraid to ask question. Someone who I think is worth their weight in gold is the secretary or ward clerk. They know all the going-ons of the hospital. It will get easier. When I first started, I would have rather run down the halls naked than call or speak to a physician. Now I remember that they are just people with xtra letters at the end of their names, yes some have God-like complexes, but they are just people. Good luck

Hang in there. It is just a new experience for you. In time it should get easier. Ask alot of questions, look confident and keep alert. You will learn and become more comfortable.

Thank you very muchhh

you were very helpful

What exactly about a hospital that makes you afraid? I guess what I am trying to get at.. is what frightens you the most about it.

Is meeting the patients is what makes you afraid? Are you generally afraid of meeting people outside of the hospital?

I was never very good at meeting people... I was always the shy one... but I forced myself to walk in with a smile on my face... and I always complimented them on something... sometimes... if there is a room full of people visiting a patient.. my comment... was... "OH MY a party.... and I forgot to bring a present... " usually got them laughing.. so we went from there...

Keep in mind..t hough... it will take some practice.. and you will not be alone.. even when you graduate.. you will be with a preceptor who will walk you through things. They will go where you go... show you everything... makes things much more comfortable for you.

Do not expect to know everything or anything when you come out of school.. You only get the basics to practice safely.... you will learn it all when you get out... and you will learn every day.. even if your years into your nursing career.

It's normal to be afraid... being afraid will make you a good nurse.. because you will act safely.. it's the students that come out of nursing school thinking they know everything.. and aren't afraid.. that quite frankly scare the crap outta me. THEY are dangerous... because they will NOT ask questions... ask questions constantly.... others will not mind.. its shows you are willing to learn....

The fear will leave you soon... all I can say is be safe.... and document document document... oh did I say document??? LOL

HUGs.. and best wishes to you dear,
    Rae:o

hey everybody..
    thank you very much my friend 4 your reply...
    you are right !!!

finally i went to the hospital
    i was really comfortable in my ward ( medical male ),, at the begining i got confused when i heard (( male )) .. god i hate guys
    but the situation there is totally different from what i imagined
    patients are very nice and very weak .. i tried to take care of my patients as much as i could .. talked with them .. knew what their needs
    i found that patient there need comunication !!
    i know i'm not the best but i'm trying to be better

from the morning till eventing my preceptor always with me .. she made me paticepate in all prosedures.
    my CRN tought us how to suction through trachostomy .. then i did it ..
    i made alot of mistaks.. but she did not get apest at me .. she was really patient with me :rolleyes: she kept telling me " it's okay i was just like you , making mistakes is the only way to learn "

have a good day
    Manal,,