Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People posing as "nurses"

Member Extraordinaire

People posing as "nurses"

What is the deal with so many people on this site who list their job title in their profile as "Nurse" when they are not a nurse, or are still in nursing school??? I thought it was illegal to call yourself a nurse if you are not licensed as one. I can name a few members just off the top of my head who are not nurses, but have their job title listed as "nurse." I realize there is no way to verify people's credentials, but when they openly say that they are not a nurse or that they are still in school, should they still be allowed to call themselves a "nurse" in their profile or in any posts???

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: People posing as "nurses"

Amanda, I appreciate the post! The other Mods and I have been discussing this problem, and have been fine tuning the site's updated Rules/Regs. We will be sure to address this...

I don't see why they'd want to? I have mine as RN...pending boards. I hope this is ok. I have graduated..and will be an RN when I pass. I wouldn't want to list myself as a nurse..especially when I was a new nursing student (or aid) I know it's just a message board..but I don't want people thinking I'm somehting I'm not...and defiantely wouldn't have wanted people taking my advice as an aid or student thinking I was an experienced nurse.

20 something years ago I worked at a hospital as a "Student Nurse Extern" (or SNE) while I was in clinials in school. Once we finished (graduated) nursing school we were called GN's for Graduate Nurses. At least in a hospital setting it would be a BIG deal if a GN had RN on his/her nametag. Plus GNs could do a lot more than SNEs.

But, this is just a discussion board, but I do believe it's very important to distinguish between students, nurses and visitors. Not sure how you would go about inforcing that, though.

I did read a post by you the other day AprilRN, which said something like I'll be graduating nursing school soon. It kind of bothered me. Nothing personal, I like reading your posts, but I always thought you were an RN. It felt like a deception or something.

PS: Don't feel bad AprilRN, it was not my intent. :-)
    Tom, RN. . . Neuro ICU, ER, Level 1 Trauma, Chronic Dialysis, Bone Marrow Transplant

Member Extraordinaire

I agree, Tom- I don't think that anyone should be putting RN after their name if they are not yet an RN- it is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    20 something years ago I worked at a hospital as a "Student Nurse Extern" (or SNE) while I was in clinials in school. Once we finished (graduated) nursing school we were called GN's for Graduate Nurses. At least in a hospital setting it would be a BIG deal if a GN had RN on his/her nametag. Plus GNs could do a lot more than SNEs.

But, this is just a discussion board, but I do believe it's very important to distinguish between students, nurses and visitors. Not sure how you would go about inforcing that, though.

I did read a post by you the other day AprilRN, which said something like I'll be graduating nursing school soon. It kind of bothered me. Nothing personal, I like reading your posts, but I always thought you were an RN. It felt like a deception or something.

PS: Don't feel bad AprilRN, it was not my intent. :-)
    I didn't take offense..BUT..I did put RN...pending boards. Which is what I am. I just figured it would save the question when I talked about studying for boards...asking if I'm going to be LPN or RN. And...when I signed up for this board...was already done with school...just waiting for the graduation ceremony.

ok- I'm a dunce lol. Sorry...It just occured to me that it's because of my user name. Should I delete my account...start a new one..then in a month redo it all when I take boards?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

April, you'll be ok; we just don't want it to become a widespread thing from now on.

'Cat'

Waving my credentials at the screen... :houra: Actually I play middle linebacker for the Oakland Raiders...but I dress up like a nurse every night!

Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    I agree, Tom- I don't think that anyone should be putting RN after their name if they are not yet an RN- it is misleading.
    I'm not opposed to students using things like "RN2B" or "RNStudent".

Hey! I just noticed I'm a "Junior Member!" Do I need a secret decoder ring to move up, or what?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast