hi there
I am new to this forum and need advice. I just discovered thru my MD that I have a severe vitamin B12 deficieny that went undetected for probably over 5 years as my serum level is 128! I just started work as an RN on a postpartum unit in Michigan hospital this past February and was having a very hard time with learning/memory cognitive ability to focus/concentrate(all of this related to B12 def)during my orientation... my nurse mgr called me into her office about a month ago(now off orientation) and said she would have to "let me go" if my performance does not improve. This was BEFORE I became aware of my vitamin B12 deficiency. I have started giving myself DAILY IM B12 injections and have had further bloodwork done to see if I have pernicious anemia (which I discovered runs in my family) I went to my manager and told her what I discovered with my health and basically she said that does not matter, and that they would still have to evaluate my performance from day one on the unit(when I was having learning difficulty) she also said she didn't think I was a "safe" nurse and that I lacked "good nursing judement" (well, a severe B12 deficiency affects judgement etc...) anyway my question is do I have any rights in all this??? they sound like they are getting ready to fire me. I even asked to go back on orientation and she said "we don't have enough money to do this"... I asked if there was any other positions in the hospital (even NON-RN jobs!)that I could apply for or transfer to, she said no! she also said she did not feel she would be able to give me a positive recommendation if I applied for work as an RN elsewhere!!please help, my manager also said that I would NOT be able to collect unemployment if they do fire me!!
do I have ANY rights in this???
please help! thanks