Thread: a new beginning

a new beginning

I am so glad to have found this site. I am approaching 50 and have decided that is time to make a change in my career. I am seriously considering nursing as a profession. My interest in nursing goes back to childhood. I spent alot of time reading first aid manuals and vintage Red Cross home nursing manuals. I'm not sure what my parents made of it,rather than ask for toys I wanted bandages and medical supplies. I wanted to learn to give injections, and my pediatrican actually gave me a hypodremic syringe and needle and told me to practice on an orange(those were more innocent days). I thought of becoming a doctor, but by the time I was finishing in high school it was obvious that with my grades in math and science, medical school was not an option. Nursing was not an obvious career path for young men, at least where I came from. I did attend a competitive college and graduated with a degree in history. For the last twenty five years I have worked in the art and design fields, doing work that to some might be considered glamorous and exciting. I know I have a strong creative and visual sense, but somehow the work I have been doing has not been gratifying. I had considered for a time going back to school to get a degree in clinical social work with the aim of becoming a therapist. I started taking classes I lacked from my original BA program for admission to social work programs. But somehow I convinced myself that returning to school in my mid 40's to graduate into a profession where my earning potential would be meager even in the long run was not right. I decided to continue established career path and do volunteer work visiting homebound seniors.My volunteer experience was extremely rewarding in ways that my professional work was not. Concurrently I became responsible to caring for my mother who was diagnosed with a chronic form of leukemia( CLL.) Her illness took us on a roller coaster ride with all the ups and downs over ten years. This past year was particulary tough. She died in February. There were times when I hated my role as caregiver, but ultimately I realized that helping her through her illness was the most important thing I accomplished in my life. I spent alot of time in the hospital, as her advocate and companion. I witnessed the reality of health care system the good and the bad.
    As I said earlier, I am now reconsidering a return to school this time to become a nurse. Something inside of me says this is right, and the instincts I had as a boy could be fulfilled. But changing paths in mid life cannot be taken lightly. Some of my friends and peers have been encouraging, others think I am working through my recent bereavement, and have become unhinged. I would sincerely appreciate any feedback I can get from those of you who are experienced nurses or those who undertaken nursing studies or made career changes. Thank you all.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: a new beginning

Welcome to the site, uppereast. I am sorry to hear about your mother passing away.

Having been through your mothers illness, perhaps nursing IS for you. I realize your past grades in math and science may not have been the best, but many colleges have tutoring available. Perhaps Hospice nursing will be your eventual call.....

I hope you stop by often, and gain some feedback. I wish you luck.

'Cat'

Dear Cat,

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting. I truly appreciate your
    kind thoughts and encouragement.

My great aunt got her ADN when she was in her mid 50's. She currently still works as a nurse with retired catholic nuns and she is in her 70's. It is never too late to want to help others. Good Luck with whatever you decide and don't let others bring you down. :luck:

Member Extraordinaire

I always have a few students in my clinical groups who are going into nursing in their 40's and 50's. I had one who was doing nursing and her 20 yr old daughter was in medical school doing some internship at my hospital at the same time and I've had a mother daughter in one group. Usually the non-traditional students do very well they are motivated.

I'm sure you will make a great nurse....Cassioo mentioned "Usually the non-traditional students do very well they are motivated"......I couldn't agree more. However......nursing can be a very physically and mentally demanding career.......especially at first......:luck:

thank all of you who have taken the time to read my post and reply. your encouragement is very appreciated. since i have few friends who are involved in the caring professions, it is important to have feedback from people who can speak with experience. many thanks.