Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Strange' ER visits

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

'Strange' ER visits

Have any of you had some 'strange' visits to the ER? If so, what were they?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: 'Strange' ER visits

Oh boy......

Various foreign bodies in vaginas, rectums, penises....

A man whose wife assaulted him with a bucket of fried chicken...

A kid high on meth who ate a big pile of rocks...

A kid who broke his ankle from jumping out his bedroom window after mom walked in on him "pleasuring" himself with the family dog...

The list goes on & on & on........

A man who shaved his body from belly button to knees, rubbed himself with alcohol & then somehow caught his a@# and scrotum on fire with a candle.

A drunk who popped out his glass eye & put it in his mouth (he hadn't bathed in about a month) and then put his eye back in.

An elderly man who self-cathed himself with a coffee straw :39: because "I just couldn't pee & it was starting to hurt" Did the coffee straw NOT hurt you genius?
    :rolleyes: "Real nurses are too busy saving your butt to kiss it!"

A guy who shoved his wife's (unused :hahaha: ) tampon up his nose for a nose bleed and couldn't get it out. He said that his brother said that he got a $900.00 bill the prior year for an ER visit just to get a 'nasal tampon' inserted for a nose bleed. The guy was just looking to save money for something "so simple costing a small fortune" :lmao:
    :houra:

This was not "in" the ER, but we rec'd a 48yo homeless woman by ambulance to L&D because her last menstral period was 9 months prior!!

Last night had a OD who had been clean for 2 years, and she just did not know how in the world the coke misteriously appeared in her UDS!! *L* Not unusual I know, but still funny!
    Casey Lynn, RN :o

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Quote Originally Posted by Enerjan View Post
    This was not "in" the ER, but we rec'd a 48yo homeless woman by ambulance to L&D because her last menstral period was 9 months prior!!
    Ok.....maybe not the brightest bulb in the pack, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by TJRN View Post
    A guy who shoved his wife's (unused :hahaha: ) tampon up his nose for a nose bleed and couldn't get it out. He said that his brother said that he got a $900.00 bill the prior year for an ER visit just to get a 'nasal tampon' inserted for a nose bleed. The guy was just looking to save money for something "so simple costing a small fortune" :lmao:
    Say it isn't so. Oh my....
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

wow. this is a pretty interesting topic. Funny, but scary and sad at the same time.

I know of a young kid at my sister in law's old hospital. He came in with something vibrating in his anus. Evidently he found something of his mothers which he then flipped on and inserted just a wee too far. Still vibrating during x ray lol.

Poor kid. Talk about insult to injury. You know you're gonna have a hard time explaining to dad, and if that's not enough, odds are in a fairly small town, there's a decent chance someone's gonna find out and you don't want to go to school there anymore. Of course, if that was the case a lawsuit may make you feel a bit better about it.

This isn't all that strange of funny, but it was pretty interesting.

When I was just starting at this small rural hospital in Oklahoma we had a guy come into the Emergency Room with a nose bleed.

He was at the bank of a VERY small town nearby the hospital (15-20 minute drive) and his nose just started bleeding. The bank President just happened to be on the volunteer fire department and an ambulance driver. He brings this guy in and at first I thought the guy had been shot or something. He was literally covered head to toe in blood. His clothes were so covered it looked like he had just finished the prom scene in the movie "Carrie". The guy was probably almost 80 years old. Big and strong, tough old cowboy.

His nose just started bleeding and they couldn't get it to stop. I mean it was GUSHING. Had this guy been anywhere else, or alone, or asleep or something, he would have been a goner.

We were having a hellova time getting it to stop.

It was probably because his blood pressure was THROUGH THE ROOF! I don't remember how high it was, but I was a fairly new grad and it was my second day there and I remember saying "holy ****" and then thinking to my self, "I just said that out loud!:confused:". I guess nobody heard me or they were too busy too care.

We tried everything. I don't remember what kind of cream we were putting in there, or what we were giving him IV but we had to put those tampon things in both nostrils to put enough pressure on it because with one it just kept it from coming out his nose so he was coughing it up instead.

I realize that a little blood can go a long way but this guy lost A LOT OF BLOOD. There were 2 E.R. docs working on him and I was holding an emesis basin to catch the blood. By the time we were done I LOOKED LIKE I WAS SHOT!

Anyway, it was at the beginning of my shift and when I left to go home, it was still not completely stopped but it was barely flowing.

It was pretty crazy.

Btw, he lost enough blood he needed some...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast