Thread: Drug Testing

Drug Testing

Unfortunately, I have been diagnosed with Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome for the last 10 years of my life... Its a form of abdominal migrane that makes you throw up and retch for hours on end... with extremely painful headaches and stomache pain. The only thing I've found effective is smoking. I have used medicinal marijuana for almost 4 years now to control my symptoms. I have tried everything from phenergan, Zofran, and Ativan... and nothing 'legal' has seemed to work for my nausea. I am seriously considering a job in the nursing field (RN) and was curious if a drug test is required in this field of work. If necessary, I could quit smoking for the profession... but would be deadly ill almost every morning of my life. Besides smoking, i haven't, nor will take any other form of drugs. Are drug tests just checking for narcotics and heavy substances? I really need someone's advice on this issue because I'm totally stuck between deciding on going to Nursing School, or a regular 4 year college. I understand how this could be a serious issue to some, but i usually smoke between 4 and 8 a.m. when i am seriously ill and would never be high or unstable at my job or work situation. All input will be greatly appriciated.

Re: Drug Testing

It seems that you are in a difficult situation, however, if marijuana is all that works for you, the choice may be between that and a career in nursing. Not only would you likely be subjected to ramdom drug tests, but most schools, mine included require a clean tox-screen with your pre-admit physical. Even if this weren't required, please consider the liability to you, the hospital and most important, the patient. I know that you feel that you have no "high" side effects, but in nursing above most other professions, reaction time and a clear rational mind may be a life or death issue. I don't mean to sound as though I am lecturing you. I'm not. You seem to be a caring person who would feel terrible if anyone was hurt. That being the case, nurses using drugs is a VERY serious issue. I hope this helps.

Re: Drug Testing

Hi,
    Have you considered immigrating to a country that has legalized medical marijuana? You can get dual citizenship with some countries (Im assuming you are American). It might be worth doing after graduating nursing school. I dont know if even as a legal marijuana user if you would have problems working in a foreign hospital, clinic or for a MD-but might be worth checking into. Best of success to you. Dont give up.
    gentle day,
    Lisa B