Thread: A Grateful RN

A Grateful RN

My name is Mel C RN and I am currently in the NCBON Alternative Program. I attend NA meetings regularly and my Sponsor and I are currently working on Step One. In Aug 2004, while caring for a patient having DT's, I sustained a C4-C5 Herniated Disc, in Sept 2004 I received my first perscrition for Vicodin and it was downhill from that point. From 08/2004 to 10/2005 I could not work in the hospital because of lifting restrictions but I did work at a Substance Abuse facility where I live in High Point, NC. Now catch this... I dispensed Methadone to clients during this time but I never entertained the thought of diverting at this time. In Sept 2005 after much Therapy and refusing surgery, I was cleared by the Comp MD to return to work. All was well but the seed had been planted. The Vicodin that had been precribed to me back in 2004 was no more and I took them like eating Skittles, even for the least amount of pain. Somewhere during Feb/March 2006 instead of wasting 2 mg of Dilaudid, I diverted it from the waste to myself. That cycle continued until I received a call from my Nurse Manager while I was on Vacation in NY for Thanksgiving 2006 that I neede to meet with her and the Chief Nursing Officer before I returned to work. At that meeting all the diversion that I had done was presented to me and I was terminated at that time. But before I left the CNO ask me twice, Mel is there something you want to tell me and because of ego and pride I said no. In hindsight, the disease was exposed but would not allow me to get help that was being offered to me at that time. I was in DENIAL to th extreme. This caused my life as I new it to collapse and I started pointing fingers at the JOB and The North Carolina Board Of Nursing. Even while they were helping me to get help with my diseased self I continued to blame others!!! Where I am right now is I get with my sponsor, go to meetings, keep it at what's happening now because that's what I have. I am scheduled to meet with a Addictionoligist and appear in front of the Board of Nursing in July. That's then but just for today i'm ok. I hope everyone is doing good and I plan on hangin' out with you guys for a long time, but the main thing is I'm here with you now.

Re: A Grateful RN

you said you got a positive etg. What action was taking regarding a positive etg. I am fear of getting one now after eating at Panda. I have never had a positive one yet and I have 6 more months to go on probabtion.