Thread: NCLEX.... HELP!!!!

NCLEX.... HELP!!!!

I need help from all you experienced nurses out there. I graduated nursing school in December 2003 and took the NCLEX the first time in February 2004 and failed, I took it again in June 2004 and failed again. I'm going to blame it on the fact that I was pregnant and my hormones were all over the place because I know I'm a good nurse. I have been complimented numerous times, but I just can't seem to pass this damn board exam (I've never been the best test taker). I know that if someone from the BRN just came to a hospital and watched me work they would give me a license right there, but no, we have to pass the NCLEX first.

My question is.. Does anyone out there have any advice for me. I plan on taking it again in March, now that I'm no longer pregnant and my hormones are back to normal.

Is anyone has been in a similar situation or can give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I know I can do it and I'm not going to give up... the 3rd times a charm... right???

Member Extraordinaire

Re: NCLEX.... HELP!!!!

I know some good nurses who haven't passed NCLEX the first time. Did you take a review class? get review books look for the best answer...look at sample tests...what did you miss? don't study what you know study what you don't.

Yes, I took the Kaplan review course, which cost me $400 and I thought it did nothing for me. Fortunately, Kaplan guarantees that you'll pass the first time or they'll refund your money, so I got my $400 back. I have tried the Saunders book and Mosby review. For some reason I just can't seem to get it so I thought maybe all you RN's out there would have some helpful pointers. It just seems as though they test you on things that you'll NEVER ever use.

Member Extraordinaire

it's been a while but I think NCLEX is a test of general nursing knowledge. Maybe you need a course on test taking skills. I know the stress though I'm going to take my RNC exam on Wed and stressing more about that then I ever have about any test. Guess I'm older and wiser as I got through nursing school 1st in my class and NCLEX with my studies being opening a book and putting it on my lap while I watched TV or chased 3 little kids around but this weekend I'm really reviewing specific things I didn't know or things I don't do at my hospital that have been on previous tests.

Need to maybe take a class on Test taking. If you kn ow the information than it has to be your test taking skills. Try a Sullivan Learning Center

OH how I remember preparing for that test. I am an RN of ten years, although I have been a stay at home mom for 5 of those years. In Maine, my class was the first to take the computerized version of the exam. When the computer shut down, indicating I was finished, I rose from my chair, gathered my belongings, went out to the car and burst into tears convinced I had failed miserably even though I had answered a number of questions within the range of those who passed. I did pass the first time. Prep for me included long hours of test questions, checking and rechecking my answers and researching when I found a particular area of weakness. I worked from two different NCLEX review books. I trained myself not to second guess my instincts, I would say that is the greatest tip I could give you. You have successfully completed a course of study that allows you to sit for the exam. Trust your instincts. Don't change answers. Look at all of the information given in a specific question and trust your judgement in selecting the answer that best fits. Practice doing this by doing practice questions from one of the many nclex study books. Last but not least, relax before you go in. Seriously deep breathing, eyes closed, focus, oxygenate.

Since you were pregnant at the time you took the exam, and you say Kaplan didn't help...maybe Kaplan wasn't the one for you. There are surely others out there and almost all of them guarantee you pass or get your money back. So...what do you have to lose by taking another review class, review the material and see if anything is changed and reinvorce what you already know. If you don't pass...well, I would doubt that would happen. But, worst case scenario...get your money back. You sound very motivated and if you don't overwhelm yourself with too much information each day, but alot yourself a certain amount of review, say 15-20 pages or so, in about a wqeek or two you will have read the content on a section in your review book and be able to take the mock test. Those will really help. Don't rush yourself. YOu have the rest of your life to be a nurse. It is truly amazing...Cathiel1994's post is an exact duplicate of my situation. Don't change your answers. That's a big key.