Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Advice

I am in the process of being convicted for a felony drug possession in michigan. If I get it dropped to a misdemenor does anyone know if I would still loose my license?

Thank you
    Dawn

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Advice

Your license is not gone yet - Depending on the outcome of your case and if it is your first offense/conviction you will probably end up in diversion or probation for 3-5 years - you may have your license revoked but can usually reapply for a probabtional license.

hppy

Red face Re: Advice

Hang in there Dawn, It's not pleasant going through this but for those of us who are, it really helps knowing there are people just like yourself out here. In Washington state they refused to offer a charge reduction but instead offered me drug court, 16 months then if I am successful the charge is dismissed. I still have my license, and should be able to keep it(we actually have a pretty decent BON here) I agree with hppygr8ful. In Washington, you would not lose your license for a misdemeanor. In a lot of cases (maybe not all) seeking help will go quite a ways with the powers that be."I hope for you and cannot stop that hoping, till' that smile has once again returned to your face; No such thing as a failure who keeps trying, coasting to the bottom is the only disgrace." (Blues Traveller) My best wishes for you in a tough situation. Take Care, Kev.

I keep reading about this BON. What is it?

I went to work the other day and cherished every min of it. I'm physically ill at the thought of not being able to do what I love.

Cool Re: Advice

The BON (or board of nursing) is the agency who control your license. In Washington , its just the Dept. of Health or DOH. Ours here in Wash. State is pretty decent, at least from what I have seen. One of them came 200 miles to see me while I was in treatment, and was very supportive. In a lot of cases, they really are there to help you, and will.(so keep your head up) There are those of us who are right in the middle of it with you. Keep us posted. KEV

Dear Dawn,
    I am from Michigan also. I habeen charged with attemp to obtain fradulent RXs in December, which is a four year felony. The prosecutor dropped it down to possesion of analouges, a two year felony. Since this was essentially my first time in trouble, I received what they calla 74-11, which means if I complete my 3 years of probation, it will be erased from my record. I had to go to jail for 24 days to do the residential substance abuse program there but it turned out I actually like it-the program, I hated jail. What stinks though, is whenever an employer pulls up your criminal background, they will always see that you have been arrested for the original charge. I was visited by an investigator from the MI dept. of community health. He advised me to contact HPRP-health care professional recovery program. He said they would force me to do it anyway if I wanted to keep my license. After contacting them, I got a letter from the BON saying because of my 74-11 conviction, they couldn't force me to participate in HPRP. But once you start HPRP, you cant stop. So now i'm struggling to find a job, and my family is about to lose our house. But everything happens for a reason, I guess. Keep us updated on what happens.

When you took the 7411 did you loose your job?

If I take the 7411 will they contact my employer?

I used my employer's attending doctor's DEA# to call in vicodin RXs for myself so I was fired before I went to court. They did notify the BON and I was contacted by an investigator from the BON who suggested I went into HPRP. The 74-11 is a delayed sentencing. It will be expunged from your record if you do not violate probation. They almost always will give you a 7411 if you have no prior drug charges. However, I called HPRP to start the process before I was offered this. And after I started HPRP i recieved a letter saying the BON couldnt take action against my license because of the 74-11. So my advice to you would be to continue working until you hear different. And do NOT voluntarily contact HPRP---they are a pain in the azz. I have more trouble getting a job because I am participating with them than anything else. If u get a 74-11 you should be ok but dont contact HPRP until u are forced to.
    ONE DAY AT A TIME

thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast