Thread: Greetings from a new nurse in Harrisburg

Question Greetings from a new nurse in Harrisburg

:houra: I feel like I was in school forever. I have been out of nursing school for a whole year now. Every day I am in awe that someone pays me to do the job that I do. I work in the OR in Harrisburg, PA at a Magnet hospital and have found that I couldn't have asked for a better job. Now I am wondering if staying in PA is the right decision for me. I make good money but I feel that maybe there is something better out there for me. I was looking at becoming a traveling nurse but feel that maybe I should acquire some more education to make myself more marketable. Does anyone have any input on this? I have always planned to get at least my bachelor's degree but it is all a question of when and who will offer me the best deal of loan repayment.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Greetings from a new nurse in Harrisburg

Hi, Sue, and welcome to the site!

You didn't mention it, but what are you working now? Med-Surg? ICU/NICU? ER? Is it possible to 'transfer' to another Department in your facility to learn?

Hope you drop by often!

'Cat'

Re: Greetings from a new nurse in Harrisburg

Cat,
    I am an OR nurse and love it! I couldn't imagine being a nurse anywhere else. I don't think that I have the personality to be a floor nurse and definitely not an ICU nurse. It takes a special person to be able to do that job. I was thinking of joining the Air Force and received the answer to my question that I posted before about getting my BSN. I cannot be an Associates Degree nurse and go into the Air Force right now. So I will have to wait 2 years until I am finished to join. A little bummed but at least I know now what I have to do if that is what I want. Who knows, I may change my mind in that amount of time.