Thread: "Hierarchy" I guess?

"Hierarchy" I guess?

Ok...I'm kind of new to this stuff and I was wondering what the "hierarchy" of nurses was. I've heard RN (2 year schooling), BSN, MSN, APN, and DPN.

I'm basically wanting to move up the chain as close to MD as I can without medical school. I thought a masters in nursing as an APN was it, but I just read another thread about DPN (doctorate in nursing I guess)...anyways - just wondering.

Re: "Hierarchy" I guess?

hmmm...no replies. Maybe that was a stupid question...:39:

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by Khaos05 View Post
    hmmm...no replies. Maybe that was a stupid question...:39:

Hi there,

No, yours isn't a stupid question, it just doesn't have a simple answer. If your goal is to do primary patient care, an APN certification is what you will need. It requires a minimum of a masters degree and completion of an AP nursing program. You would function as a PCP and could do adult, family or pediatric care. If your goal was to do research, administration or education, you could begin with a masters degree and work your way up to a doctorate. Good luck.

R

thanks! I'm really wanting to get into a clinical setting of seeing patients, ordering lab work, diagnosing, and treating. I want to do all ages except newborns and infants. More like toddler (3 or 4) all the way up to 100 years. My school has 3 tracks or paths for APN - Pediatric, Family, and Adult Primary so would family be what I'm looking for?