Thread: Hi, Just found site after being gone from nursing for 1 1/2 yrs.

Hi, Just found site after being gone from nursing for 1 1/2 yrs.

Hi,
    I have just found this site after being gone from nursing for 1 1/2 yrs due to addiction. I gave up my license after struggling with an addiction for 2 years. I had already completed a rehab and was working through all the fine lines with the board to keep my license, but I screwed up and relapsed. I didn't know where to go from there so I just handed over my license. Now after a year and a half and realizing how much passion I really had for nursing and that it was the addiction that was tearing me down, not the profession, I would give anything to change how I ended my career. I am unsure of whether or not I ever have a chance of getting it back, but the board doesn't want to even discuss it until I have waited 5 years. Anybody have any advice or encouragement, I am lost.

Re: Hi, Just found site after being gone from nursing for 1 1/2 yrs.

What does your actual paper from the Board say? Mine was:

1)compliance with diversion program.
    2) fine
    3) can petition one year from the date of the order

It took over a year after turning in my license and not looking back to get the actual order. I was happy for the extra year, it gave me more confidence in myself and sobriety. I had felt like a total failure, but eventually had to face it.

I recently went before the Board and had my suspension lifted. It is possible, they want to see that you are straight and accepting accountablity for your actions. They seemed very forgiving, and pleased that everyone petioning that day was well and ready to re-enter nursing. They were not condescending or judgemental whatsoever.

Are you required to submit drug screens, AA meeting, etc?

Keep your chin up.

Smile Re: Hi, Just found site after being gone from nursing for 1 1/2 yrs.

HI,
    I never received a letter from the board. I was on a probationary program with them when I messed up again so when I went in for a meeting with the investigator, or whoever she was, I surrendered my license on the spot. She was not friendly, took my license and told me I would not be able to apply to get it back for 5 years and even then there was no guarantee I would be able to get it back. I don't even know if I am ready to face them again or be a nurse again right now, but I don't want to give up on the possibility of me ever regaining my license either. I was also wanting to know if there was anything I should be doing to better my chances of getting it back as far as education goes. I am currently working for a pharmaceutical research company doing clinical trials on pediatric medication. This job has been the first thing that has gave me the desire to regain it. It has allowed me to use some of my nursing skills again by working with children, drawing blood, administering vaccinations and giving me a sense of what the medical field ment to me without the addiction. I know I am in a completely different state with a different history with the nursing board, but thanks for giving me some hope that there is a possibility of me regaining my license sooner than the five years or at least getting it back at all. I am taking it day by day, sometimes minute by minute, but finding this website has given me something to look forward to. I pretty much gave up on ever being an RN again. I would really appreciate any advise you might have in regards to your experience dealing with your addiction and more than anything the BOARD. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks,
    LostRN

In Massachusetts, if a nurse doesn't follow through with the diversion program established by the board of nursing, he/she can surrender their license for 3 years. From what I understand, the board will only look at petitions for reinstatement if the nurse has completed two years of random drug screens, on their own, during the last two years of the 3 year surrender (hope that makes sense!). In addition, during that same period, the nurse must go to counseling on a continued basis, go to AA/NA or some sort of recovery group, have a sponsor and be able to provide documentation of all this, in addition to employer and personal references, as part of the reinstatement petition. Good luck.

First I would call the Board or diversion program to see what you need to be doing for the next 5 years. It is in your best interest to show them that you are doing things on your own, like attending meetings, drug counseling, etc. I think most of us had to go to 3 meetings a week for quite some time. hopefully if you can show something it wont take 5 years. If they haven't given you the actual paperwork from the Board that states "5 years" that is.

Let me put in an organized fashion. I am working with 2 states so it got confusing. In my first state i was put on "emergency suspension". Tried to do the diversion program, kicked me out for moving. Told me to go through the state i was living in. (i had dual licenses) Began going through my present state. The "investigation" took over a year, with me submitting all my records. Finally after that they allowed me into their program. Had to do that for one year before even beginning the program in my first state.

The first states Board (after over 1 year) had put me on "indefinate suspension" stating that after one year from that time that i could petition. Because i was unable to head off the Board with the diversion program, they took action against my license. BECAUSE of the suspension i was stuck on the OIG list. (cant work anywhere that gets federal reimbursement, medicaid etc) Finally I was able to start their diversion program, which thankfully gave me credit for the year I had documented from the other state.

Although I have a mark on my license, I do know I will finally be able to work as a nurse again. Now I have to wait to submit the stuff to OIG, then i can begin looking for a job. They said that may take 6 months or more. So from start to finish i will be at 4 years. I had no insurance, but most places will give a Poor Sap discount. My counseling was $4 a session, but RDS are between $40-90.

The sobriety part was lengthy. Once i began doing it purely for myself, not because everyone else wanted me to. The first year was horrible l felt like i should give up. I put my stubborn streak to work, decided that i could do anything i set my mind to, and finally things started to come together. It was so simple. They say in AA, you at least have today. You don't need to worry about if you are sober in 10 years, just for today. I did that every day for 3 1/2 years, one day at a time, and as lame as it may seem, that was the only thing that worked. No more worrying about next week, or things that were out of my control. It just took some time.

I hope this helps ease your mind in some way. Everyone's Board process is different. Do it for yourself first. If you aren't able to take care of yourself, you will not be able to give your patients what they need.

good luck!