Thread: Scared About First Semester

Scared About First Semester

Hey everyone this will be my first semester in the professional phase in the program and I am so scared and nervous. I already have anxiety and it has not even started. I know a lot of the people that start the program do not necessarily make it out. I also heard that pathophysiology is a killer class. Can anyone give me any advice to calm my nerves and can anyone tell me what I can realistically expect

Re: Scared About First Semester

Are you in an ADN or BSN program?
    For what it's worth.........
    If I don't blow it this semester LOL I'll pin this coming May.
    I'm sure all programs, schools, and instructors are quite varied, but my experience seemed to prove that the 1st year students get treated like poo. I think maybe the thinking is to "weed out". However, as second year students, we've been nurtured, supported, and, this final semester, called the cream of the crop.
    So I guess what I'm trying to say is..... HANG IN THERE!! Buck up, don't take things personally, listen a lot and talk little. It's also a whole new WAY of learning and testing. Pay attention closely and ask your instructors to explain what you don't understand.
    Is your program a "multi-entry level program"? iow..after the 1st year of the program are y'all qualified to take your LPN NCLEX?

Thanks for responding the program is a BSN program. You can either attend full-time or part-time. I have chosen to go part-time even though I am not employed due to the all the stress that I heard that comes along with the program. I do think after the first year you are qualified to take the LPN NCLEX but you have to pass med-surg. Is it more beneficial to be apart of a study group.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Ask your advisor to share with you the learning style you displayed in your nursing entrance tests. iow...visual; auditory; independent; group..etc. Then learn how to develope those study styles. EX:...you might benifit from doing your initial readings by yourself then discussing the topics in a study group..
    Something else for you to learn about your study habits.....will you benifit more from a small group (2 - 3 max) or a larger group (5 or 6)...your advisor can help you with all of this. (or should!)