Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being truthfull

Being truthfull

I have been in recovery for 4 years and still find attending meetings the most stressful part of my life. My delima is being truthful about my past and relapsing. I try so hard to stay clean but over the past 4 years have found myself in situations that I did not have control over my addiction and relapsed. Whether it was taking a hydrocodone for a toothache and finding myself popping 4 or having access to demerol by a freak incident. With every incident, I was quick to get help "GOD KNOWS I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO THE HELL I LIVED". My point is, I have relasped over the years and would like to be truthfull in my nurse group but fear the consequences. I work very hard to stay clean and want to continue to work as a nurse. I just have a hard time attending group being dishonest about my clean time but again...fear the consequences. HELP!!!

Re: Being truthfull

Being truthful will probably relieve the turmoil your feeling. There's a saying in AA that I heard a long time ago..."you're only as sick as your secrets". If you reach out to your group and be honest, you'll be approached by other people, just like you, who care, who have been there. So reach out and let others help you. Posting here is a good start but the power of your nurse peer support group, AA, whatever, can really help lift the icky feelings and help get you going in the right direction. Good luck to you. I know how hard it is; I've been there...I was going to meetings while using and not letting anyone know because I was so ashamed of myself. So just open yourself up for the help that's out there and you'll be okay

Get real my friend. One does not pop vicodan as an accident. Keep on pretending this thing called addiction does not exist. But what I really object to is addiction is acceptable but only if your name is
    Paris.
    Be aware my friend you are not in that special group, you will have to allways beg on your knees for sobriety. When you come out from prison they will not give you a million dollars for your story, remember you are a nurse.

But what really bothers me about this is the situation of healthcare in America. if we stand by seeing people dying at 90 years old connected to a ventilator and we all know this is wrong. but never thought we have no way out then we have to ask ourselves who are we? Use excuses like they may sue us but that really does not fit. Do the right thing, I think nobody has any idea what this is about.

Find yourself another group to be truthful in. Your nurses group is not the place. Believe me you will pay the consequences if you are.
    :grits:

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles2 View Post
    Find yourself another group to be truthful in. Your nurses group is not the place. Believe me you will pay the consequences if you are.
    It took me a few meetings to realize this, guess I'm slow and too trusting. Our nurse support group facilitator is hired by the diversion committee and does quarterly reports to them. Sad, isn't it?

Speaking for myself, I'm grateful that there is a diversion committee, and a program that I can be part of as a nurse to have the privelege of getting my license reinstated. I appreciate the weekly nurse groups and the quarterly reports that indicate my progress...I've got nothing to hide. If I'm dishonest about my recovery, the dishonesty becomes cyclic and the potential for repeated relapse is significant. Recovery has given me freedom from hiding and lying. And it's not just about me...if I'm a practicing nurse, under the influence of ETOH or drugs, I'm putting my patients at risk. So, that's just my two cents worth!

One of the great blessings of this whole ordeal, for me, has been my nurse support group. I have made great friends there who have been truly supportive and inspirational. Not sure what state you are in, but our nurse group facilitator tells everyone at their first meeting that they are required to report relapses. I am sure that this does prevent some people from truly opening up to their peer group.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles2 View Post
    What other group do you wish me to be in? How dare you tell me to mind a better group How dare you Do you really know the consequences, what are these what do you know about truthfullness?

Quote Originally Posted by morgandog View Post
    What other group do you wish me to be in? How dare you tell me to mind a better group How dare you Do you really know the consequences, what are these what do you know about truthfullness?
    I know that the nature of this disease means that there will be slips and relapses. For those who relapse, the consequences are inevitable. For those who slip, catch themselves and get back on the path, disclosure can result in the same penalties as those who relapse. The nurses support group is required and must be attended. There are other recovery groups, however. There's SMART. There's SOS, etc. In those other groups, where anonimity is practiced, full disclosure is appropiate.
    :grits:

If your nurse's group has ANY connection to the Board, don't share these events there...I would suggest your regular 12-step group. Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast