Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the jobs????

Where's the jobs????

After many long years I finaly achieved the gole I had in highschool of becoming a nurse the only problem I have now is finding a job. The local hospital came to us (the students) asking us to come work for them as soon as we had our license in hand and thats what a lot of us did. Only it became very evident that not all of us were welcome.
    The next question I have is, What Nursing Shortage?????.
    From where I sit it looks like the hospitals are picking and choosing who and why they hire from a lot of persons who were dooped into believing they were NEEDED, WANTED as well as DESIRED in the profession. Who is accountable for saying we have a nursing shortage when all we have is a large population of our older nurses retiring from the workforce only to come back on a perdium wage while collecting soc.sec. and a pension to boot, verry often in the same position they just retired from at the very same hospital. ????????????
    When do the new recruits get a chance???:frustrated:
    Before you say it; I've already heard it all. "They are offering experience in the workforce." "They are qualified for the position." "They know how to handle an emergency." etc. etc. etall:::::
    My questions in responce are when are we going to be allowed to GET the experience WE will need to handle the same emergency?
    OH YEA what are these retired and rehired nurses going to do when it is there turn to be the emergency? and none of us have the experience NEEDED to handle it???????
    Why call it retired? That is obviously not what they are doing. What they are doing is grabbing a bigger piece of the pie. Can't realy blame them for wanting that, what with doing the same work and getting MORE pay for it. :smoking2: Whats not to like about that situation?
    That question I believe I have an answer for.= HIGHER HEALTHCARE COSTS, as well as sundry of other things like unnescessary strain on the soc.sec. system. ect.ect...well I think you get the drift.

Thanks for letting me rant. Lot of good it will do, and yes I've already talked to my state REP.

sincerly: DOOPED in MICHIGAN
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Re: Where's the jobs????

You must not be looking in the right places. Here in Grand Rapids there's a huge need for nurses. You may not get your perfect job right away, but should be able to choose in a few years. Check out Spectrum Health, Metro Health, St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Rapids.

I agree with Squid. Jobs in northern Michigan are hard to find, no matter what your profession! However, depending how far away you would be willing to work, West Branch, MidMichigan Medical Center (branches in Gladwin, Clare, Midland, Alma) are usually hiring. Hope this helps

Zooparade

Smile Re: Where's the jobs????

There are so many jobs avaiable in MI. Take a look at career buider. There is a shortage of nurses every where. A positive attitude is the besst attitude when you walk in to fill out an application. It shows during an interview.

I see what you mean by your original question. I feel like sometimes a facility will advertize because they want their nurses to feel "comforted" knowing that management is trying to "meet the need" and make things better. ( Not neccessarily hiring applicants.) It is true that some states are in more need than others, though.
    :cool:

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I've worked agency alot, and have seen many facilities advertise just so they can have a 'reserve' of 'potential hires'. Yet, there are places that do need help, too.

Thanks for the replies folks, I don't know exactly what happened but the CEO of the hospital I spoke of in my original post has Been Sacked (finaly) and (big surprise) what with falling staff count and a rising payrole it took them long enough to do it. Only time will tell if it will do any good to have gotten rid of the head rat; if they leave the current administrative body, things still may not change.

Thanks Peekaboo and Cat, for your posts.

Those have been my own observations as well. The poor soles who think they may have a chance at getting hired and are only getting led allong like puppies on a string are the ones who are suffering the most, a potential hire may keep an inexperienced nurse from seeking work or finding a better job somewhere on the hopes that this potential ""just may"" pan out. :confused:

For a profession that claims to be one of caring and compassion our leaders surely must have forgotten how to be just that, I hope this dosn't happen to me.

Note to self:: Never be a part of Management.:eek:

Note to those "in" management: Don't forget where you came from, and do unto others as you yourself would have done to you. After all what would you do to us if we did to you what you have done to us.

And in the name of money will we lead our own children to the slaughter?

<<NOT MY CHILDREN>>

As a travel nurse, I have noticed that there is not the shortage of nurses in Michigan that there is in the rest of the nation. I lived and worked in Holland, MI for many years; I just left there 2 years ago. I never had any shortage of work and as others have said, there are many jobs available in the larger cities. If anyone knows of any travel companies working in Michgan for L/D; please let me know. But, don't despair, there are a lot of jobs out there!

Update to my last post.

The administrative body of the hospital in my posts is now getting carved up like a christmas turkey. It appears that the new head honcho dosn't like being told he is not the real boss. Thats correct folks, the old admin dpt tried to muscle in on the new CEO and found him to be holding a fistfull of pinkslips and a freshly sharpened carving knife.

Did I mention that it looks as though this guy knows how to carve a turkey with gusto. It looks like a bunch of dead weight just found out that it's goose is cooked.

now we get to see if this guy can carve goose as well as he dose a turkey.

orionseal; Are there more than just this one hospital in your immediate area for which you could apply for employment?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast