Thread: A Man's Guide to Get a Nursing Scholarship in a Woman's Profession

A Man's Guide to Get a Nursing Scholarship in a Woman's Profession

Hey all,

I am a guy and I made the decision--or leap--to goto nursing school, and honestly it was a very tough decision to make. I read this article which kinda swayed me to goto RN school.

Thanks,

Tod

---

http://www.nursing-scholarships.net

http://www.288th.com/nursing-scholar...rofession.html

A Man's Guide to Get a Nursing Scholarship in a Woman's Profession

Typically, when individuals decide to attend college and choose nursing as their major, they are most likely a white woman and are between 18 to 45 years of age. However, while many men will oftentimes dismiss a career in nursing because it is, stereotypically, “a woman’s profession,” men should not be so quick to dismiss a nursing career due to a chronic male nursing shortage and a variety of perks, such as a high income, etc.

The Potential Income of Male Nurses
    Male nurses are certainly in demand; thus, employers, such as hospitals and free-standing clinics, may pay premium wage for a qualified male nurse. For example, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the median annual salaries of Registered Nurses are rising greatly, according to the findings of their May 2004 salary survey:

Employment services: $63,170
    General medical and surgical hospitals : $53,450
    Home health care services: $48,990
    Offices of physicians: $48,250
    Nursing care facilities: 48,220
    Thus, with salaries ranging from the mid-to-high five figures, more men may begin to choose a career in nursing and reverse the tide of female dominance in nursing as a whole.

Nursing Gender Inequalities Hurt Patient Care and Discourage Men From a Nursing Career
    According to HRSA, men still comprise a very small percentage (5.8 percent) of the total RN population although their numbers have continued to grow. Of the estimated 2,909,357 RNs in the US, 168,181 are men. This represents a 14.5 percent increase over the 2000 NSSRN estimate, when 146,902 RNs were male. This also represents a 273.2 percent increase over 1980, when the number of men in the RN population was estimated at 45,060.

Thus, even with this dramatic increase in male nurses over a twenty year period, a chronic staffing shortage remains, which—in part—could be alleviated with more men becoming nurses. However and until the nursing shortage is resolved, the quality and availability patient care will continue to suffer as demand outpaces supply.

More Male Nursing Scholarships Means More Male Nurses
    Recently, the number of male-oriented nursing scholarships has generally increased; thus, as male nursing scholarship funding levels increase and as nursing salaries increase, more men may enter the field.

Some male nursing scholarships and male nursing-oriented websites are listed below:

American Assembly for Men in Nursing Foundation and Johnson & Johnson’s Campaign for Nursing’s Future are offering a new $1,000 scholarship program for male students pursuing professional nursing education programs.
    Male Nurse Magazine
    Men in Nursing Journal
    Nurselookup.com

Re: A Man's Guide to Get a Nursing Scholarship in a Woman's Profession

Quote Originally Posted by fathertod View Post
    Hey all,

I am a guy and I made the decision--or leap--to goto nursing school, and honestly it was a very tough decision to make. I read this article which kinda swayed me to goto RN school.

Thanks,

Tod
    Well Done Tod! Welcome to Nursing!

Hey Tod, I've been a nurse for 10 years and love it. The only problem i've come across is how MD's treat you over female nurses. Which some times can be a problem.I feel that it's all about how you take care of your patients. It should matter which gender you are. For help thru school i used the F.R.A.G grant. I live in florida so i don't know if you have that in your state. good luck.:houra:

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyRN View Post
    Hey Tod, I've been a nurse for 10 years and love it. The only problem i've come across is how MD's treat you over female nurses. Which some times can be a problem.I feel that it's all about how you take care of your patients. It should matter which gender you are. For help thru school i used the F.R.A.G grant. I live in florida so i don't know if you have that in your state. good luck.:houra:

Hey Johnny,

could you elaborate on how MD's treat you over the female nurses? I heard from others that male nurses are viewed as being more competent when compared to their female counterparts.

Hey, thanks for the advice, im 19 and i've wanted to be a nurse since I got my EMT. ANY help and advice yall could give me would be amazing. I want to Trauma Nurse and one day a flight RN/ Medic NREMT-P RN Brooks has a nice ring to it, wouldn't you say?
    W.A. Brooks
    FF2 EMT-B RN to B

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by FF2EMTRN2B View Post
    Hey, thanks for the advice, im 19 and i've wanted to be a nurse since I got my EMT. ANY help and advice yall could give me would be amazing. I want to Trauma Nurse and one day a flight RN/ Medic NREMT-P RN Brooks has a nice ring to it, wouldn't you say?
    Hi "Title man"

Welcome. You sure sound motivated and the field is always looking for good trauma nurses, right Amanda? There is no secret or best way to get into nursing, just find a program and sign up. Some have waiting lists but that just means that you start with your prerequisite classes. Good luck and keep us posted.

R