Thread: about my husband

about my husband

Hi all...my husband developed an addiction to pain pills after surgery. He is a paramedic, and had planned to go to nursing school. How big of a hurdle will this be for him? He had charges filed against him, not sentenced yet. Thanks for any info.

Re: about my husband

Hi Gigi,

It depends a lot on what state your husband wants to be licensed in . You say he had charges filed against him; was he convicted of anything? A classmate of mine in nursing school, in Indiana, had been convicted and actually served jail time. When he graduated, the BON refused to allow him to take the boards. After petitioning the BON with charachter references, etc. he was finally allowed to take the NCLEX.
    My diversion experience is in CA. Nurses I have become acquainted with who had a history of substance abuse before becoming nurses have told me that if they said they were an alcoholic or had a DUI they had to do probation; if they simply said they had difficulities in life and now worked a spiritual program of self improvement, they didn't have to do anything!

he will either be in jail or in the "drug court" program, fraudulently obtaining narcotics...this is hard enough on him without having to give up his dreams

It does depend on what state he wants to be liscensed in. The only other advise I would give is to check into the "Americans with Disabilities' Act " Remember addiction is a disease. I think it's the felony charge that might be more of an obstacle. Hope I helped and good luck!!!