Thread: How does someone begin?

How does someone begin?

I currently work in the ED (level I & II) experience. I thinking about travel nursing and would like to begin in Sept/Oct. My main fear is that once I quit my job and head to an assignment, I will have to take some test (like PBDS) and if I fail, I'll have the contract cancelled. Although I have already passed PBDS, who's not to say that there would be some other type of reason given for the hospital to want to cancel the contract because they find a cheaper source of labor?

Also, when should I begin my search? I have to give a month's notice where I work and would like to know that I have a firm committment, in a location I have in mind, prior to that.

Help & insight in these matters would be appreciated from all.

Another thing, can one begin a travel assignment in the area they now reside?
    :houra:

Member Extraordinaire

Re: How does someone begin?

If you've already taken PBDS, many facilities will accept your passing score that you've already gotten- just get something in writing saying you passed from the hospital where you took it. Or, you can always just ask your recruiter to look for assignments that don't require tests like the PBDS. Most places will make you take a medication or EKG interpretation test, but they're nothing like PBDS.

I would have your recruiter start looking for assignments approx 4-6 weeks before you're ready to start traveling, this gives you enough time to get a license in the other state if you need to. You might not find a lot of assignments in the area you want to travel to, however, until 3-4 weeks before, so don't panic if you don't find something right away.

If you choose to take an assignment in the area where you currently live, if you will be maintaining a tax home (maintaining a mortgage or paying rent somewhere in your hometown), you have to take an assignment that is 60+ miles from your tax home in order to qualify for tax-free benefits, like tax-free housing/stipend. I know lots of travelers who live at home, take assignments 1-2 hours away from home, commute to their assignment, and then just pocket the housing stipend- you can make a lot of extra $$ that way!

Good luck to you!

We work with a lot of facilities who do ot require the PBDS.

The best way to start looking is submitt your profile,2 references, and a skills checklist then your recruiter can begin looking for what you want. IE location pay position. I will be happy to work with you .if you have any questions you can call or email me

Most hospitals require you to be at least 50-100 miles from hospital to be considered a traveler.

look forward to hearing from you soon.

Michelle Rodriguez
    Recruiter
    Providence Health Care Staffing
    michelle@providencestaffing.com
    Providence Health Care Staffing

What I did before I Traveled is I took a 12 month Leave of absence which is a good back up but not always a gurantee you will get the same position back. Some hospitals may take it as an offense if you leave to Travel so play it by ear.

Make sure you have a money cushion for emergencies.

Make sure Housing is in their name.

Don't alow a contract that holds you financial responsible for housing regardless of the reasons. Most reputable companies and recruiters would not leave you holding the bag.

Be registered with a handful of companies for backups.

Ask all the right questions.I have a good list on my website.
    I may be adding more like about PBDS or any other test or cert.

Have the list of questions printed out in your pocket with a pen on the ready for when the Hiring Manager calls so you will be ready to ask the ?'s

I clarify the given info like shifts, floating etc and ask further questions to get further hidden info.

Pay attention to the responses and hesitations.

Make sure you talk with the unit manager to get a feel of their management philosophy and the unit culture.

May sound like alot but a good investment of time.

CJ Travel NurseToolbox