Thread: help! cant decide RN or BSN worth 1more yr

help! cant decide RN or BSN worth 1more yr

I have committed to earning my RN in 3, or my BSN in 4. Is waiting an extra year of much value? I'm leaning towards RN in 3, will I earn less money? So many options, Jason.

You won't earn less money... all your employer will care about is the "RN" on the end of your name.

I got a diploma, no bsn. I wish I would've got the bsn. Now that I want to be a nurse practitioner, I have an extra 2 years to go... meaning 4-5 years total to get my ANP. If you ever want your bsn, it'll take you an additional 2-3 years to get it later (most schools only give about 35-40 credits for a diploma, and the bsn requires about 120). If you just want to be a bedside nurse, and you know you'll never want to be more, just get the 3 year RN. If you think you may want to be an NP one day, I strongly suggest getting the bsn to start with. Also, if you think you'll just want to be a bedside nurse, that may change when you get in school and actually start working. I thought I'd only want to be a bedside nurse also... I've been out one year and can't wait to get away from the bedside.
    Jeremy

Re: help! cant decide RN or BSN worth 1more yr

Quote Originally Posted by trek1500mn View Post
    I have committed to earning my RN in 3, or my BSN in 4. Is waiting an extra year of much value? I'm leaning towards RN in 3, will I earn less money? So many options, Jason.
    I highly recommend BSN program. The value is the opportunites of having a BSN over ADN. At first, the pay is the same. Yet, in the long run having a BSN provides more career opportunites.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

bsn, i have my ad and wished i had gotten my bsn, it would have only been one more semster for me but the stupid counselor didn't tell me that, i figured it out later

bsn, you ever want to write for anything book magazine, talk at conferences, LETTERS are good.

you ever want to do nursing in a foreign country, bsn is better recognized.

BSN!!!

Most of what others have said agrees with my experience. And, because of the nature and degree of gender bias against men in nursing, those letters after your name will help you along.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorbob View Post
    Most of what others have said agrees with my experience. And, because of the nature and degree of gender bias against men in nursing, those letters after your name will help you along.
    "... gender bias against men in nursing..."

Not in the Army Nurse Corps
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I had the same decision to make and everyone told me that it didn't matter as long as you are an RN. There is not much difference in the money you will earn. With that said I am glad I did not listen and got my BSN. There are more opportunities that open up with a 4 year degree. Trust me on this. Sometimes it is that small difference that determines if you get the job you really want. There is no substitute for being able to look back and feel great about your accomplishments. I am not knocking those with an ADN. I think that is great but for me I would have felt I sold myself short. The extra year went by really fast and I am really glad I did. Also if you ever decide to continue your education it will allow you to apply to a graduate program. You may not be thinking you want that now but Trek1500mn + 10 years may be a different person.

Reach for the higher goal and you won't be disappointed.

To anyone who tells you that all that matters is the RN at the end of your name, they lied. Well they kind of lied, your first few years after school you will make the same amount having an RN or BSN. However 10 years down the road is a completely different story. If you ever want to move up and be a instructor, floor manager, ect. many hospitals will require you to have a BSN. Plus if you ever want to become a CRNA or NP you will need that degree. The extra year is well worth it in the long run.